Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Remove oil burner coil rusty bolts
Author: Lee (NJ)

I need to replace coil in oil burner.

What is the best way to remove rusty bolts from coil in oil burner? Should I soak the bolts with a penetrant like "PB Blaster" for a week? What penetrant do Plumbers prefer for this task? Is there a special tool? Do I just use a socket and a breaker bar? Is there a special technique or process that Plumbers do for removing bolts from the coil?

I believe I will attempt to remove coil in a week or two. Planning ahead.

Thank you very much.

Re: Remove oil burner coil rusty bolts
Author: hj (AZ)

If they were nuts you could heat them or crack them off. But, they are bolts and the real problem is that the rusted ends are where PB Blaster or other stuff may not reach them. So, all you can do is spray the penetrating oil on them and then use a breaker bar and socket to try to unscrew them.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'd be willing to bet that most of the bolt heads will wring off. I then drill the center out of the remaining stub and use an easy out to remove the rest of the stub.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Yep....Cross your fingers. If they break, I'd use a center punch, to dimple the center of the broken bolt. Then use a center drill to start the hole. They rarely break off flat, and and a regular bit will want to walk on you. Take your time, and try to drill in the center. Easy-outs expand as you turn them, so if you drill to close to the threads, it will lock the "stud" in place.

Author: packy (MA)

be patient. I find 2 out of 3 come out.
one thing I do is replace the bolts with studs and nuts.

Author: m & m (MD)

Use 6 point sockets/wrenches. Soak the bolt with penetrant daily a week or two in advance and use firm hammer blows to the bolt head each time you soak it. The rest is luck.

Author: packy (MA)

i just had to remove a 5/16 rusted bolt holding down the battery on my explorer. it was hopelessly rusted. i sprayed it with W/D but it would not budge. i put a socket and extension on my 18V impact driver and rattled away on it a few times. it was not powerful enough to remove it but i think the vibration loosened it enough that the ratchet took it right out.
maybe an impact driver on tankless bolts might have the same result???
(can't hurt)..

Author: m & m (MD)

Down side to impact wrench: sheared bolt head, but may be worth a try especially if the torque can be regulated.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

The shame of it is, it could have been avoided with a nickel's worth of Never-Sieze, at the factory.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.