Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 removing galvinized pipe from wall
Author: leo (IL)

how do i remove an old pipe from the fitting going into the wall,this pipe is old galvinized pipe.

Re: removing galvinized pipe from wall
Author: packy (MA)

if possible, heat the pipe with a torch and use a big pipe wrench to unscrew it.
if you can't do that, cut it with a sawzall leaving a couple of threads. slice thru what is left makining two cuts about 1/4 inch apart. hammer and chisel the small piece out and the rest can be persuaded out easily.
be careful not to cut too deeply into the female threads.

Author: asktom (MT)

If you use two pipe wrenches with the handles on opposite sides it will allow you to get a more even pull and reduces the chances of breaking something.

Author: hj (AZ)

Hard to do when one end of the pipe, with its fitting, is inside the wall.

Author: Lee (NJ)

I have used an angle grinder that I purchased from Home Depot. The angle grinder was not that expensisve. I purchased one for another reason a while back. There are a wide range of quality grinders and respective prices.

You can "very carefully" cut the pipe with a cutting wheel on the grinder. I purchased a full front shield that totally protects your face. It fits on your head. Peices of the cutting wheel from the grinder could break off and cut your face badly. I also kept a bottle of water to spray on the wall because the sparks really fly like you would not believe. The water keeps the wall from catching on fire. Very important to wet wall in my opinion.

It will take patientce and practice manuerving the angle grinder to cut the pipe. You really have to turn the grinder in every positon possible.

Good Luck Report back,

lee

Author: sum (FL)

"Peices of the cutting wheel from the grinder could break off"

huh? What kind of angle grinder and what kind of wheel would break off into pieces?

Are you sure you are not talking about a Dremel with those 1.5" cutting wheels that are as fragile as cornflakes?

I think when OP said "remove old pipe from fitting" he meant how to unscrew it.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

"Peices of the cutting wheel from the grinder could break off"

huh? What kind of angle grinder and what kind of wheel would break off into pieces?

Are you sure you are not talking about a Dremel with those 1.5" cutting wheels that are as fragile as cornflakes?

I think when OP said "remove old pipe from fitting" he meant how to unscrew it.

answer: any grinding wheel could 'disintegrate' at any time resulting in serious injury if protective gear not in use (gogles, full face shield, gloves, etc)

they 'should' not, but, occasionally, they actually do (perhaps they had been 'banged' around and have resulting invisible cracks or stress points, etc.)

WORK SAFE - no need for unnecessary risks

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 7 times.

And what should he do once he has ground the pipe flush with the fitting or wall surface? Usually, doing that results in changing it from a 'task' to a "project".

Edited 1 times.

Carborundum wheels can shatter if they are tweaked.

Author: sum (FL)

I am familiar with the operations and safety aspects of an angle grinder, I just found it odd recommending using an angle grinder for such application - that is, if the OP really wants to cut it off to begin with - when a sawzall is much easier. Especially considering the comment "You really have to turn the grinder in every positon possible."

I could see how sometimes a dremel is useful with a tiny cutting wheel you can insert that thing inside the pipe and cut from the inside out which could be handy.

In any case I believe the OP wants to unscrew not cut.

Author: Lee (NJ)

Sum is correct. I misunderstood the original question. One would not want to grind the pipe down. Packy's and the other responses should be the method to use.

Having said this, in general, sparks will really fly(in your face) when using the grinder wheel.The wheel could break into peices. Face shield is absolutely necessary. Wetting the wall is necessary with a spray bottle due to sparks.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.