Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Superstore SSU-30 : size of pipe connections?
Author: John496 (NY)

Hi,

Newbie homeowner here, and first time poster. I just had a new Superstore SSU-30 indirect water heater installed, and I have two questions about how it was done.

1. My first question is about the aquastat that was used. It's a Honeywell L4006A2007, and does not seem to be connected appropriately to the control well on the heater. It's screwed on tight, but it is angled back toward the top of the tank about 5 - 10 degrees. I'm thinking it should be parallel to the tank wall, right? Would this mean that the wrong model of aquastat was used? I know there is an adapter available, but the control connection on the SSU-30 does not seem to have a set screw to hold the adapter in place. Maybe it won't make a difference as to functionality, but it does not seem right to me.

2. Second question is about the diameter of the copper pipe that was used. The overview (available from [www.htproducts.com]) specifies 1" pipe to/from the boiler, and .75" pipe for the domestic water in/out. Well, the previous heater was also a 30 gallon Superstore (though a 20 year old model), and it was installed with 1" pipe to/from the boiler and .5" pipe to/from domestic. The installers for the new boiler kept the .5" pipe for domestic, but for some reason, for the pipe to/from the boiler, they inserted 2-3 foot runs of .75" pipe. My guess is they ran out of or didn't have any 1" pipe with them. So, is this going to be a problem going forward, or won't it make much of a difference in how the boiler performs? Seems to be working ok now, but, remember, I don't have any experience with this stuff.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

John

Re: Superstore SSU-30 : size of pipe connections?
Author: packy (MA)

i hope you did not pay them, yet...
feed and return should be 1 inch pipe not 3/4 inch. it will work but your recovery rate will not be slower. in other words, you are more apt to run out of hot water than before.
the honeywell control should be mounted straight but being crooked will not hurt the functionality as long as the sensing bulb is fully inserted.
question... why did you change the superstor?? it has a lifetime guarantee and should not need replacing...

So, the .5" domestic water pipes in/out will be ok?

Only gave them a down payment so far.

The Superstor came with the house when I bought it 4 years ago and I had no original documentation for it. It had been leaking a bit from the plastic flanges of some of the connections, as well as oozing flakey "cruft" for the past few years. I didn't want to risk another year.

Thanks for the reply!

Author: Paul48 (CT)

As packy has stated....you need the 1" to and from the boiler, to carry the necessary btus. If the installer doesn't know that, I'd be concerned about the boiler install as well. What were the results of the heat loss calculation, to size the boiler?

the plumber returns the leaking superstor to the supply house for full credit towards a new replacement tank.
there should be no charge to you for the tank. labor you do have to pay for.
have a read here..it talks about the BEST guarantee in the industry and the 1 inch boiler piping tapings.
[www.htproducts.com]

There was no effort spent on sizing the water heater for the house. I had a 30 gallon indirect, which always provide enough hot water for me, so I figured it would be a like-for-like replacement and perform similarly (and hopefully better due to being brand new).

And that will work even though I'm not the original purchaser, and the installer is not the original installer, and I have no paperwork on the unit? If so, I've been played for a fool, and the installers ripped me off.

Oh, you're talking about sizing the *boiler*. The boiler is 30+ years old, and I have no idea who installed it, nor if it's the right size for the house. Didn't even think about that.

find out where the old tank is...

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Sorry...You said," the installers for the new boiler". I assumed there was a new boiler installed as well. The warranty as written now, is for the original owner, and not transferrable.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.