Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water in raised crawl space
Author: dmc (IL)

Looking to buy house which was built in 1998. During inspection we found almost 3" of water in the concrete raised crawl space which sits about 4 feet above the main basement. There is a 4" drain in the floor of the crawl space which is not piped but opens into gravel under the crawl space. The water appears to be pushing up through this hole after a couple of really big storms. There is no evidence of water coming in anywhere else and the basement itself remains dry. The basement sump piy is few feet from the wall of the raised crawl space and there is a pipe coming into the pit from that direction. But there is not any water coming into the pit from that pipe. I am trying to find out 1)if the crawl space might be designed to drain into the main sump pit and a clog could be resulting in the water backing up and 2)if the hole/drain in the crawl space floor is necessary. I really need to get an idea what might be going on so that we can decide whether to buy what would otherwise be a great house. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: water in raised crawl space
Author: packy (MA)

number 1 would be my guess...

Author: bernabeu (SC)

water / humidity under prospective home for sale

RUN

RUN FAST

RUN FAR

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Have you considered going to a neighbor and ask about the level of water in the area and a history of flooding. You could crawl under the house and see for yourself... as someone will have to do that eventually. You should have a tangible answer from the seller, for all of your questions, otherwise pass on the sale.

Best Wishes

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Walk away......It became a crawl space when the builder encountered a spring.He might have been able to deal with it before he built, but his profit for the lot would have been gone.

Author: hi (TX)

Sounds like a spring which flows when the water tables rise with local rain. yikes hard to make better. usually trench around house and install footing drains to light.

Author: dmc (IL)

Thanks for all of your input. I'm checking with the city public works dept to try to get some info on area water table levels and flood history. Unfortunately this is a bank owned foreclosure so we don't have access to the previous owwner. Talked to a couple of neighbors and they claimed not to have any water issues. It'll be tough to do, but getting close to walking away if we can't getting any definitive answers. I had a waterproofing contractor suggest trenching around the crawl space and putting in drain system and sump pit and then replacing the concrete. Would this solve the problem or just be a band-aid.

Author: packy (MA)

you will still need a pump with a battery back-up

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

A natural gas generator or whole house generator to power any pump will assure you of a dry basement. Again, neighbors are a pretty good source of information, if you talk with them on the weekend.
In your original post, you did not mention Foreclosure. I have to wonder how long the building sat idle, before you saw it. I have to ask, what other issues may occur after the purchase. Be prepared.

Best Wishes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.