Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 finish photo of my cut to fit bathtub. Still gonna have issues??????
Author: tjrkm (TX)

I am not sure if this is common practice or not but my acrylic bathtub was cut to fit the space in my master bathroom. When I asked the contractor why the bathtub was cut he said it was because bathtubs only come in certain sizes and that it is very common to cut a bathtub to make it fit. I don't believe this excuse. I would think that the size of the tub would be taken into consideration during the plans and ordering of the tub. I really need to know if I am overacting or if I need to make them pull the tub out and start over with one that fits the space.
this is how he fixed it. He trimmed it out. Will I have issues?

Edited 7 times.

Re: Is it common to cut a bathtub to make it fit????
Author: steve (CA)

What part of the tub did he cut?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

if the 'nailing' flange was cut - N/F/G

the FRAMING should be modified to fit the tub !

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; he said it was because bathtubs only come in certain sizes and that it is very common to cut a bathtub to make it fit.

Bathtubs DO only come in certain sizes, which is why competent contractors, and architects, draw the rooms so they fit. NO ONE "cuts" a tub to fit the room, and there are MANY reasons why it is NEVER done, leakproofing being one of the major ones. You need a new tub, a revised room, and maybe a new contractor. At any rate check his work carefully to be sure he is not taking any other "short cuts" to make things fit.

IT is IMMATERIAL. A tub is NEVER "cut", period.

Author: sum (FL)

hj said:

"At any rate check his work carefully to be sure he is not taking any other "short cuts" to make things fit."

I just can't stop laughing at the "short cut", laugh laugh laugh

Author: Lee (NJ)

The Plumbers here are great!!

The Plumbers on this website do Society a great service. Without Plbg.com and the generous Plumbers who contribute here; this poor homeowner would have been taken advantage of.

Thank God for Plbg.com and the website's generous contributors.

I added the photo of the tub so you can see what I am talking about.

Author: packy (MA)

even the part of the tub that the lying contractor did not cut is wrong. there is no nailing flange for a water tight joint on that tub.
new tub and new (honest) contractor...

Author: m & m (MD)

Any necessary modification should have been made with the vanity base, not the tub.

DITTO PACKY

I didn't see a nailing flange at all. So I'm going to have issues from it not being water tight?

Author: m & m (MD)

It depends on how much splashing will be going on, after all, it's a tub-not a shower.

That might not even be the right tub for that installation. We cannot see the rest of the tub behind the marble, but it looks like a "drop in" tub rather than an "alcove" one, in which case NONE of edges behind the marble have "tile flanges" to prevent leaking into the wall. IF that is the case, you are COMPLETELY dependent on the caulking to prevent leaks and that SELDOM works. It is NEVER a "good" installation when the wall covering just sits on the of the tub with nothing behind it.

DEFINIELY, some day. As I said in my previous posting, I doubt that THAT tub has a "nailing/tile" flange on any side. It appears that the tub was designed to sit ON a deck, not in an alcove.

AS USUAL:

DITTO DITTO DITTO PACKY

GET A PERMIT AND INSPECTION

Yes, it is late and will cost you extra, but, it is your ONLY 'out' for this abortion.

Re: finish photo of my cut to fit bathtub. Still gonna have issues??????
Author: toocute350 (LA)

First of all I see he never covered the bottom of the tub.Sounds like the cabinet was a little to big for the size of the bathroom.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.