Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 how to identify the model of a shower valve/catridge
Author: kkv2 (NJ)

I dont know if something is wrong with the catridge or the valve. It needs to be fully open for hot water which means water comes at great force. Even cold water starts of at greater force.

I have an access panel and can see both front and back of a shower valve/catridge. I dont see any names and dont like its design.

Thanks

Re: how to identify the model of a shower valve/catridge
Author: hj (AZ)

How about a picture? Many valves work that way. The handle only controls the temperature. When it is turned on it starts out at full volume and stays that way throughout the handle's rotation. To control the volume you either need an additional handle or a bidirectional handle, (that has to be designed into the faucet when it is made).

Anybody can recognize this ?

Edited 2 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

the other side would be better. Include the faceplate and handle.
Best Wishes

No, but then I often have a problem recognizing my kids by looking at the back of their heads.

Here is the front. Do these companies typically make different cartridges/trim for same valve ? Thanks

Author: bernabeu (SC)

there is no way you can control volume except by throttling any angle stop valves installed which is NOT recommended

if it works, don't fix it

since you have access to the rear:

when/if it breaks replace it with a model you like

ask for a volume control model (may have 2 handles or be push-pull for volume, twist for temperature or other design)

best of luck

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks. Don't understand why shower valves are designed this way. Makes it very expensive to replace them. I want to replace this to reduce our water consumption which this seems to be the only main source.

Any comment on the make of this valve though ? If I want to replace the valve, can I use any type/model or should I look for anything specific. I am thinking of soldering myself. Any suggestions how to go about will be great.

quote; Don't understand why shower valves are designed this way. Makes it very expensive to replace them.

IT would also be cheaper to repair cars if they all used the same parts. But why would ANY manufacturer want to make it easier for you to use someone else's unit? Replacing it can range from easy to "nearly" impossible depending on your abiities.

I dont understand what you mean. You seem to misunderstand the post. Even in cars, parts are not same - but standardized. So if I want to change battery - I dont have to buy exactly the same battery. They will make money by scaling - not by selling one valve. Anyway thats getting outside the intent of the post.

Any ideas on how to update this valve or which company may have designed this 'patented' useless valve?

Thanks

quote; Even in cars, parts are not same - but standardized.

You mean I can buy a Chevrolet ball joint and install it in a Ford, or vice versa? Interesting, because I have never tried to do it. But, as far as your faucet, if you just need to change a washer, they ARE generic. Manufacturers are NOT concerned about "interchangeability". They make parts to fit THEIR faucets and they have patents on them so others cannot copy theirs.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

you can get a 'water saver' shower head with a built in flow restrictor

they are available with different gpm ratings and are available in all price ranges / finish styles

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

The MAY be made in different gpm ratings, but I doubt that ANY will exceed the Federally mandated maximum.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.