Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 why 1.5 hours for new washer cycle
Author: electricpooper (MA)

If we buy a new washer, instead of 25 minutes to do a load of laundry, we will have to put up with way over an hour?

Same for the newer dishwashers, cycle times for our Bosch for our family is 21 minutes, the new ones are over twice that time.

Seems rather counterproductive to me.
What if you have guests and need to do multiple loads?

Re: why 1.5 hours for new washer cycle
Author: m & m (MD)

Welcome to the HE world where everything takes twice as long, maybe longer. My guess is that part of the efficiency in water usage appliances comes from allowing the soil to 'soak' and soften as part of the removal process and therefore the time element is needed. Your current appliance just 'beats' the dirt out mechanically and that takes a lot less time.

Edited 1 times.

That sounds like a good explanation. But its frustrating to think of both laundry and dishes taking longer than an hour for one single load.
We sure will nurse our old appliances as long as we can get parts.

Another problem, the new smoothtop stoves have a textured finish rather than the old smooth as glass top like our old one.
Ours is 21 years old and we keep nursing it along too, my neighbours new stoves look gross, as the tops are difficult to clean.

Author: vic (CA)

Not all new washers take longer than in the past.

I purchased a new SpeedQueen top loading washer 2 months ago (I dumped my 1 year old Whirlpool washer as I hated it so much, it's the first Whirlpool product that I couldn't live with) and it's very fast and washes all very well. Pricey and only comes in white (Commercial grade washer and has 3yr warranty of labor and parts).

If you can afford a SpeedQueen washer and don't mind having it in white and a top loader, noisier than some you'll be very happy.

I don't know if it's considered a water safer but to me I don't mind taking a couple of extra gallons away from my lawn or all of the green golf courses in our area.

Author: hj (AZ)

Try a different cycle. Mine has cycles that take 1 1/2 hours but also some that take 30 minutes.

I will certainly look into this one. Speed Queen has always been a very reliable company.
Our water comes from our well, and goes into a separate dry-well that we use for washer and outdoor shower. Its about 150 feet from our well, downstream.
So we dont worry about water, tho we are careful.

Thank you for Speed Queen info, looking at their website now, they arent reviewed in Consumer Report magazine for some reason.

Author: vic (CA)

My 5 year old Bosch dishwasher takes 110 minutes to do a complete wash cycle (wash plus dry).

My new one (for my mancave) takes 103 minutes.

My newer Bosch might save a bit more water (I haven't checked how much water either uses) however it doesn't do as good of a job as my older Bosch dishwasher. Maybe I ought to have gotten one that takes a couple of hours to wash/dry my dishes. smile

--

When traveling in Europe I've noticed that many have a clothes washer and dryer combo. My experience with the front loader combos in the Netherlands (at relatives house) is that although they take up less space and may save water they seem to take "forever" as well as don't do as large of a wash load nor do as good of a job of cleaning as my top loading washer/dryer.

European appliances are almost ALWAYS "smaller" and more compact because their living spaces are tinier and thus have to optimize the area. Which is also the reason they developed the small tankless water heaters.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

buy the speed queen now

effective 2015 they (nor any other) can NOT have a hot wash option merely warm

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

With a name like 'Speedqueen' their models would surely have to cycle faster. There's no such thing as a "Slow, poky Speedqueen" model. smiling smiley

We got a bottom of the line Kenmore top loader, washes good, but one of the reasons it takes so long is: they didn't put any brakes on the drum, so when it comes out of spin cycle, I have to wait several long minutes for the drum to go from top speed to full stop. And the stupid lid locks down and cannot be opened until a few seconds after the drum stops completely. Arrgh! confused smiley

I always use the short cycles for washer and dishwasher.

Also we can use the valves that your washer is hooked up to, to control your temperature as well.

But what I was worried about, is that some of the newer appliances might not offer the short cycle options any more.
Thats why we have to research our purchases very very carefully nowadays.

Another example, the Bosch dishwasher has no heater, so you have to crank your hot water to the kitchen, so that you start off with hot in the dishwasher. And you also have to open the door when its done, so that your dishes will air dry. Might save a bit of electricity, but not our oil HW heater.

Interesting why once a great appliance is on the market, it takes a few years to mess up the good things, and introduce 'new and smart' engineering, that really makes the appliance more difficult to use.

Some companies should take the hint from Apple, once you have a GOOD thing, dont mess it up.

Edited 1 times.

Author: sum (FL)

I inherited a combo washer dryer at one of the properties. Never tried it. I googled the brand and apparently they are no longer in business.

Small unit does both wash and dry, only takes cold water has a built in hot water heater for the hot, and it's ventless.

One of these days I might hook it up to see if it works and how the "ventlessness" work.

quote; With a name like 'Speedqueen' their models would surely have to cycle faster

As Benny Hill would say, "It is what we call it, not what it is".

quote; introduce 'new and smart' engineering, that really makes the appliance more difficult to use.

It like the guy who asked, "Why is Mr. Clean" making a "new and improved" version. Shouldn't the other companies be doing it to catch up with him?"

Thanks for all this info! I've learned a lot here.

Speed Queens start around $750 for the basic model in our area. And they are not crammed full of bells and whistles(but the new ones coming out next year will be computer controlled, so more difficult to repair).
So I am very pleased with their option to vary the cycle time down to a half hour, and also the price is very good.

Thanks for all this info! I will pass this all on to my family and friends too.
This is a great forum! Ive learned a lot here.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks for all this info! I've learned a lot here.

the speed queen top loaders also will spin at 710 rpm hi speed, 450 lo speed

Author: sum (FL)

I am waiting for a washer dryer folder combo that will auto wash, dry then fold.

It will do more than one load, similar to how they came up with five CD changer players. You can preload into some giant loader, and it will do 4 loads and when you get home its all done, folded, stacked and ready.

that would be called a wife

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.