Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 how to install washer to code
Author: jmitw (NJ)

It is in my kicthen which is being renovated...pipes had been installed 14 years ago incorrectly..

On the left would be the sink/stove....the new plumber installed a box to connect the washer pipes/drain in the area that would be behind the stove.

the pipes would run to the back, across the wall to the opposite side of the kitchen to connect to the washer (the back wall is about 7 feet).

it failed the rough inspection.

the inspector was a prick..came out of his car yelling at the contractor..and refused to say why it wasn't up to code.....I am waiting for the plumbing team to come back and try to figure it out...but am stressed about the possibility of not being able to use the washer..I am disabled and can't get out of the house to use a laundromat...

what is wrong with the set up, how can it be fixed to meet code (a pan is also being placed)?

I am ok with the pipes being outside the wall.

Re: how to install washer to code
Author: packy (MA)

there are a few possibilities..
1) drain size too small
2)drain not pitched correctly
3)trap not vented or too far from vent.
4) might be some more that I can not think of.
P/S, don't call the inspector a bad name just because he/she was just doing their job...

Author: bernabeu (SC)

I am ok with the pipes being outside the wall.

The plumbing code is NOT ok with said piping.

Hire a licensed plumber who will obtain a building permit (on your behalf) and will get the actual plans pre-approved.

? Inconvenient ? Yes !

But the PROPER way to do the job.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

how is yelling at the homeowner for not knowing the plumber is doing something wrong doing his job?

how is coming out of the car screaming at the contractor (who only said hello very pleasantly) doing his job..and continuing with an outright beligerent tirade doing his job...starting before he even entered the house.

how is refusing to say what the alleged problem is doing his job?

it was outright verbal abuse from the start..most of his points may be valid...but the abuse is not called for....

I also had an electric inspector and a building inspector...and they were not abusive

IT IS A LICENSED PLUMBER....who submitted the permit and arranged the inspections...what made you assume it is not a licensed plumber..IN FACT, I have a grant from the state for home repairs...and they hired this company after fully screening them....and said they had done good work for the program in the past.

this was a 'rough' inspection done on the area that was just prepared to have the work done......maybe what you are calling have the plans approved.....that was not approved...and no guidance was given. the elctric inspector noticed a problem and said how to correct it and was very pleasant.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; how is refusing to say what the alleged problem is doing his job?

Once upon a time, my dispatcher moved her mobile home onto a pad in a mobile home park.
Another plumber connected the gas and called for an inspection
The inspector failed it with a blank red tag.
I called his supervisor and told him that he had the ultimate inspector. One who could neither read nor write, something like a chimpanzee. I had to meet the inspector on the job to find out what was wrong. I corrected his problems and he put a green tag on it and called the utility to have the gas turned on. The meter was locked so they had to turn it on. When the gas company arrived he said, "It is incorrect and I will not turn it on until it is corrected". I then made the additional changes and called for them to turn it on, but was told that the "approval" was cancelled and it would have to be reinspected. This was on a Friday before Labor Day. I called the head of the inspection department at home and told him waht was going on and he said to call them back and tell them that he approved the installation. But they still would not do it. The customer asked what she could do. I told her that I was going to break the lock and turn the gas on, then sometime in the future the gas company would call and ask how she was using the gas and she should say that one of the trucks came by and unlocked it. Sure enough about 6 months later that was what happened, but she said the green tag approval is still on the riser pipe. So not all inspectors are the "oracles" they pretend to be.

quote; The plumbing code is NOT ok with said piping.

Did I miss something, because I have NOT seen a photo of how the piping is installed, and therefore do not feel competent to comment on it.

In order to have an inspection, there would HAVE to an approved plan AND A PERMIT, (which also means a licensed contractor). You are going on one of your rants prematurely.

since there was a misunderstanding/false assumption about the plumber not being licensed..and not getting the permit..maybe there is a misunderstanding about where they proposed to place the pipes....

They will not be on the outside of the building...they would be within the kitchen, but outside the wall......

Author: bernabeu (SC)

smiling smiley

yep ... I assumed outside the building

the 'extension' along the wall(s) needs proper pitch and a vent 'near' (not sure of exact modern code dimension) the trap - said vent to go vertically 6"+ above standpipe BEFORE going horizontal (with proper pitch)

hj, perhaps you could explain better (or correct me)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

What is there to explain other than your assumption that the pipes were outside the building, there was no blueprint, there was no permit, and he was unlicensed and that ALL of them were incorrect. I would not try to evaluate what the problem is unless I saw a photo or was there to try to tell what the inspector's problem was.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I'm sorry that your plumbing inspection went so bad. It sounds rare, but hard to tell from a computer mounted in Chicago. Remember the inspector is inspecting the plumbers works... not your questions. Who knows what preceded the inspection. He may not like the plumbing company or the plumber.
You, as a consumer, can contact the local authority and ask a supervisor if you did anything wrong to suffer the rath and rants of an angry inspector.

May You and Your Licensed Plumber, Pass With Flying Colors, after the next inspection.
Best Wishes

pictures?
Author: steve (CA)

Are you able to take pictures of the installation and post them(or a link to them) on this thread?

Re: pictures?
Author: hi (TX)

Ideally the plan would have to be drawn out and a licensed engineer approve the plan and then be filed with the city for extensive work like this to be undertaken

Re: pictures?

Normally THAT would be part of the process to get a permit so the inspection would be made. They do NOT "inspect" work that does not have a permit, if for no other reason that nobody would call them.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.