Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 one toilet won't flush pls.help me save$25,000
Author: James M (IN)

I have two back to back toilets. One flushes; one dont. The one that flushes bubbles into one that don't during flush.When I pull toilets both have standing water in drain lines I think because floating slab floor has sunk taking drain line down with it. Both sinks drain fine. One solution is excavate concrete floor in building and replace drain lines for $25,000. I was wondering if a new power assisted toilet might blow water and air through drain line and solve problem for $285?

THe flushmaster ads say they in effect create a drain flow that goes 20 feet farther than mere gravity /siphon toilet?

Any help greatly appreciated

Edited 1 times.

Re: one toilet won't flush
Author: hj (AZ)

there is no way the "slab could sink" enough for those lines to fill with water, unless you have a very unique piping installation. There is some other cause and you need a good plumber to cure it. IT may be something as simple as snaking the line, or, if you have a septic system, as serious as a deteriorated seepage field.

not sure why you say that given that code calls for 1/4 inch decline per foot of drain line. THe floor has sunk 4" so could have leveled out drain line. I did snake it out but it didn't help, and I have no septic.

Dropped floor seems like only possibility-right?

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

seems like you may headed for the $$$$$ repair anyway

? foundation issues ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The power flushing toilets won't help.

Author: steve (CA)

If the slab sank 4" and the pipe was originally at ΒΌ"/foot, the pipe would be basically level and any debris stuck on the bottom of the pipe could create a dam, holding back the water that you see. A level pipe will still drain, but solids would have a harder time getting carried downstream. Was a proper sized snake used, to try and clear the drain pipe? Has a camera been sent through the pipe for an inspection? If the pipe problem is affecting the toilet, why only one of them? If the pipe is the problem, can it be rerouted instead of replaced?

UNLESS the system dropped so far that the vent connection was under water, and for most installations that would be about 20", as long as the vent is open the toilet will flush. What happens AFTER the sewage gets into the pipe is another matter.

no foundation issues. THe slab floor floats but the foundation does not.

please tell why you think power flushing toilet bowl will not help. Manufactures advertise that they will push waste down line 20 feet farther!!

Was a proper sized snake used, to try and clear the drain pipe?
******yes a couple of times I think

Has a camera been sent through the pipe for an inspection?

******yes but it did give a clear answer about pipe decline

If the pipe problem is affecting the toilet, why only one of them?

******it seems one toilet is higher or its drain pipe is higher. THe good toilet drain makes an immediate right angle turn while the bad one goes down several feet

If the pipe is the problem, can it be rerouted instead of replaced?

******* no both pipes are under cement and go straight to street

thanks

Manufacturers also tell you that you can get 45 mpg with their cars.

If the bad one goes "down several feet", the that is the problem. THe end of it MAY be "under water" creating a double trap sitation which means the toilet will NEVER work properly, if at all.

yes, it seems the beginning of the horizontal drain line flows backwards toward the toilet, but it seems to me a power flush toilet may push everything through! What do you think!1

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.