Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 can toilet tablets cause leaks?
Author: yujiezhu718 (MN)

Hi, I put a Scrubbing bubbles drop-in blue tablet(it's one of those blue non-bleach containing tablets) in the back of my toilet. A few days later I noticed that dyed blue water was coming up through the floor between the bathroom tiles. I reported this to my landlord immediately.

Now 5 months after this, my land lord is claiming that the blue tablet caused the leakage.

So I would like to know if this is even a possibility, because it seems extremely bizaare to me that one of those tablets would cause a leak since they are quite widely used, and I have also never run into problems using them on my other apartments in the past.

Thanks

Re: can toilet tablets cause leaks?
Author: bernabeu (SC)

yes, they can damage the toilet's parts

whether this actually caused the leak or merely made an existing leak visible ????

all toilet manufacturers will state the use of 'in tank cleaners/chemicals' may cause damage NOT covered by warranty

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Paul48 (CT)

If we knew how the leak was repaired, we might be able to rule out the tablet as the cause. If you are being asked to pay the plumber...ask for the bill. If the flange was broken, and he had to repair/replace it, then the tablet didn't cause the problem.If he had to shim the toilet when re-installing it, because it rocked, the tablet wasn't at fault.As said, the tablets can damage the inner workings of the toilet. How much do you want to fight it? It's his/her property. Next time ask first. If you replace a washer, have them inspect the installation. You're gonna have to CYA with this landlord, obviously.

hey so what kind of corrosion would the tablet cause, and what parts in the toilet are vulnerable to that kind of corrosion? I've read that tablets containing bleach can corrode things... but this tablet does not contain bleach.

Also, if there was mould under the tiles, does that imply that it was a long-standing problem even before using the tablet?

thanks

My landlords replaced the whole toilet. so what is the best way to CYA this with my landlord? I have the plumber's number I plan on talking to them to find out happened.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

According to the owner of the property, it seems that any problem you have with the toilet is caused by the tablets. Did he ask you to discontinue using them?

Author: hj (AZ)

Even IF the tablets "caused" the problem, which is highly unlikely, it would NOT have required a new toilet. At the most it would have needed a new flapper, or MAYBE a fill valve, or new tank to bowl connections, although the last two are also very unlikely.

Tablets in the tank do NOT cause a leak under the tile, they cause deterioration of the rubber components INSIDE the tank.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

A classic example of a landlord, having the tennant pay for a plumbing bill, without tangible fact.

If you feel that you are not responsible, I would challenge.
Best Wishes

a tank to bowl leak may run down the china unseen into the flooring if the toilet was not properly caulked

CAVEAT EMPTOR

That was more than likely the real reason for the leak, (even more likely would be a leaking tank to bowl bolt), but it does NOT require a new toilet to fix it.

Edited 1 times.

Author: greekguy7 (IL)

The majority of times, it's tenants that cause lots and lots of damage, and the landlord pays for it.

Sure... you can challenge the landlord, but you give him enough attitude, he will just raise your rent.

Just to clarify I noticed the leak 3 days after I had put the tablet into the toilet. I then notified my landlord immediately, and they replaced the toilet the following weekend.

Is the corrosion fast enough to damange a toilet like that in 3 days????

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

no

Best Wishes

The "leak" was already there. The blue dye just made it visible. Unless the toilet was cracked, which would not be caused by you, there was probably no reason to change the toilet.

DITTO

the blue just made it visible

caveat: the 'tablet(s)' will/may cause damage, but not immediately

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.