Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 sewer gas smell from quick vents
Author: Marko1 (MO)

Hi all you genius plumbers! Thanks for all the help you've given me in the past and give to everyone every day, truly a wonderful resource!!

I live in a second story 'apartment' above a first floor garage. I have the upstairs ceiling removed because i'm changing from flat to cathedral. it got really hot yesterday, so I put fans next to the gable attic vent and a roof turbine vent to pull the hot air out of the attic.

soon after i did that i started smelling sewer gas downstairs near my bathroom(utility sink and toilet only).
it seems to be coming out of a quick vent next to the utility sink. it's one of the cheap ones not the expensive studer vent.
I'm sure there are no dry traps for it to be coming from and it does't seem to be coming from the toilet.

does a negative interior pressure logically cause a quick vent to reverse direction? I thought it would be uni-directional ventilation? would a studer vent prevent that problem? how could i eliminate the negative pressure due to the attic fans? i guess i could crack a downstarirs window a little bit even tho i have the AC running part of the time... any thoughts? thanks in advcance

Re: sewer gas smell from quick vents
Author: packy (MA)

a more negative pressure in the house would make the vent seal better.
probably just plain defective and needs replacement.

thanks Packy,
you think that's common with the cheapo lowe's/home depot quick vent?

Author: packy (MA)

those stores don't make any of their own products. they buy the product that gives them the most profit irregardless of quality issues..

so true Packy, however i'm considering another possibility, potential installer error(me). I may not have screwed them in tight enough; thinking, as i did at the time, that leaks werent' an issue i just put them in hand tight. when i went to remove they weren't hard to unscrew so i'm reapplying dope and tightening hard hand tight(since they're just plastic). if smell goes away after a while then im the big dummy!!! possibly the negative pressure was enough to draw some molecules past the teflon tape? (changed from tape to dope this time)

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.