Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Kitchen faucet for new countertop
Author: likestoresearch (OH)

I've read previous posts about recommendations for kitchen faucets -- thanks. Wondering if there's anything new we should consider in buying a new pull-down faucet. We are getting laminate countertops installed with an integrated undermount sink and so will need a new faucet.

We'll be visiting a local plumbing supply house in a few days to see what they have to offer. Are Delta, Moen and Kohler still the most reliable? I'm willing to spend up to $400 or $500 for a reliable faucet. I'm mostly concerned about preventing water leaks around the countertop.

Also: We found a plumber (friend recommended) about six months ago who we really love. But the countertop installer has a plumber who works with them a lot on this type of installation. Since installing this type of faucet in laminate might be unusual, we would be more comfortable in using the countertop installer's plumber for this job. But I would like to contact our regular plumber for his advice in what faucet we should choose. Is that at all advisable? I don't want to insult him by asking his advice but not hiring him for this particular job. But the next time we call him for a job, he's going to notice the new counter/faucet anyway. And we'd be calling him if there's any problem with the faucet in the future. I'd appreciate your guidance.

Re: Kitchen faucet for new countertop
Author: m & m (MD)

You would do fine with any of your listed faucets. Have you considered the "touch" faucets? Pretty cool. As far as a conflict between plumbers, don't let that worry you. Your regular guy knows that contractors have their own 'go to' plumbers. HO's supplying their own faucets these days is a fact of the plumbing life. The HO assumes all the risk, and we charge for any follow-up problems associated with correcting problems with their faucet.

Author: likestoresearch (OH)

Thanks, M&M. The countertop installers (they're actually making the counters, too) told us we need to supply the faucet, so that's why we're going shopping. I know to make sure the valves have ceramic discs, not plastic. I'm not sure we need anything as fancy as the touchless. A friend has one and says she loves it in the kitchen, but the problem is whenever she's at another sink, she tries touching the faucet and nothing happens. smile

Author: packy (MA)

how do they install an undermount sink in a laminate counter?

does your faucet mount in the sink or thru the laminate?

Author: hj (AZ)

quote: how do they install an undermount sink in a laminate counter?

VERY carefully, and even then delamination can occur because of splashing.

Author: m & m (MD)

I have seen a couple laminated countertops with undermount sinks. The sinks are not your normal off-the-shelf sinks. Rather, the sinks are made of a synthetic material and have a special flange that is "let" into the side edge of the countertop first, then anchored (glued/epoxyed?) Then the laminate is brought down over the flange. Seems to be watertight.

The faucet drilling has a waterproof sleeve placed into it.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.