Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Rookie seeks advice on outdoor shower
Author: Beekeeper on holiday (NY)

I'm plumbing an outdoor shower and seek some pointers:
--With half inch pipe and a simple tee between the two valves, going up to the head, do I want some kind of mixing chamber, like 3/4 or 1 inch pipe, so that the temperature evens out?
--what do I gain by buying a proper shower body?
--Should I put a drain below the T (the lowest point on the lines) so that I can drain them for winter?
--If my wife is used to tying a hose in here for the garden, is there a fitting I should use on my shower? Or should I just split off in the basement and mount a separate hose bibb?
-my biggest concern is that the thing will feel flimsy/rattle around when you're yanking on the valves in the shower. Advice on making it solid as a rock? Do I want to use brass tees and elbows?
Thanks much!

Re: Rookie seeks advice on outdoor shower
Author: bernabeu (SC)

note the hose cocks on bottom for service / draining

you would also have supply stop valves on the inside

under $100 - done

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 4 times.

That's beautiful Bernabeu, but where's the gal in the swimsuit?
Can you tell me whether the wall hangers are a standard fitting? What they're called?
Do you know where I'd get that head?
And can you give me dimensions on the head height and the separation of the feeds? I.e, is there an optimal distance for the valves, or was that just where your lines were?
Thanks much in any case. This is a great help.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

your wish is my command smiling smiley :

pic was for design idea and shows bronze flanges - gross overkill

to keep cost down use:

or

"copper coated bell hanger"

or other type of corrosion resistant 'split ring' hanger with rod and 'floor' flange

check out the big box store

set 'rain' head at 84" to bottom of head

set conventional 'shower arm' head at 78" center of arm

other dimensions are 'to your taste', I would go 18" horizontal center-center, but it does not matter

you could also buy a cheopo two handle shower body for the 'main guts' and build out the rest to suit

you can spend $75 up to $3000 for an outdoor shower

homemade soldered copper will 'weather' to a pleasing patina

take your time

good luck

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 2 times.

Thanks - This is my first visit to this forum and the generosity and ingenuity are really impressive.

Thanks much for the excellent advice and details.
This is my first visit to this forum and the generosity and ingenuity are really impressive.
I will post a photo when I'm done-- a little out of focus, so youall wont see my long solder drips

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks - This is my first visit to this forum and the generosity and ingenuity are really impressive.
Author: m & m (MD)

No need for solder drips- wipe across joint with cloth before cooling.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.