Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Medium Duty CI to PL with 4 band
Author: rustytierod (NJ)

Is this 4 band no hub mission "heavy coupling" suitable for transitioning 4" PVC Sch 40 to Cast Iron? "4MED" read on bell up stream. Do I need to use a pvc soil adapter?

I am going to cut a few in. before the bell.

Thanks

Edited 4 times.

Re: Medium Duty CI to PL with 4 band
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Yes, that's what you need to use. You won't need anything else.

Ok because I just test fitted it and have to stretch the rubber sleeve a little by itself without clamps to fit on the PVC.

Author: hj (AZ)

Technically, it it NOT the proper coupling, although it will work, but our inspectors would reject it. The proper one would be a transition coupling specifically for plastic on one side and cast iron on the other.

Author: sum (FL)

I ran into the same issue about two years back and asked the same questions.

If I remember correctly at the time I was looking at two options.

(1) Fernco at the time makes a specific transition coupling from CI to PVC. The sleeve has slightly different thickness on each side, very subtle because it is very close.

(2) Use a standard no hub coupling, but glue a PVC no hub adapter to the PVC pipe, presumably it adds rigidity to the joint some.

Or just use a no hub coupling because it is close enough.

I end up using a PVC no hub adapter because the local plumbing store has the adapter, but not the special transition coupling.

quote; glue a PVC no hub adapter to the PVC pipe, presumably it adds rigidity to the joint some.

Not really, it just makes the PVC the same size as the cast iron so the No-Hub coupling works "properly".

Author: sum (FL)

hj, the problem is, when I held the no hub adapter next to the PVC pipe, they look to have the same OD. I am not sure the no hub adapter is the same OD as the CI, or may be it is but not appreciable visually.

I heard many people said it's a better joint, so I use it, but I haven't found a good valid reason.

I heard as many people said it's not necessary because the difference in CI and PVC OD is not enough to make a difference. Yet Fernco used to make one with the sleeve thickness being slightly different. I don't think they make that version anymore.

Now one thing I found, was the no hub adapter has a real smooth and round "end" to it. So when you push the sleeve onto it, there is zero chance of that being cut, nick or ripped, where a freshly cut PVC pipe may have a more sharp edge.

I would also like to ask anyone's opinion on adding a cleanout before the band.

Thinking of using a smaller "test T" instead of a "rodding T" to keep it from blocking the breaker box.

quote; I haven't found a good valid reason.

Actually, there may not be a "valid reason" other than that the inspectors "want it". They LIKE to see a coupling labeled PVC/ABS on one end and cast iron on the other even if both sides are the same size.

Edited 1 times.

You can do whatever you want to.

Should a cleanout be installed with wye slanted towards flow, or can a test tee cleanout be placed on its back horizontally and rolled no more than 45* from center? Would that negatively affect flow since the joint is perpendicular?

Also wondering if ya'll think this elbow needs to be supported permanently once connected to PVC (my guess is YES).

Edited 1 times.

Mission Web site states 80 in/lb on this coupling, should I go less with the PVC being used? Other band seal transition couplings are usually 60 in/lb.

Thanks

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Yes, support the 90.
Use a test tee.
80 inch pounds won't hurt the PVC.

Unless you are using an adjustable No-Hub wrench, or a special one for those couplings, all you are going to get is 60. You install cleanouts as necessary to provide access to them, without impeding the drainage flow.

Ok so would a test Tee before the elbow not impede drainage? I will have to rotate it 45* off top center.

IF it is installed correctly, then it is just a short piece of pipe with a plug in it. Obviously, you do NOT rotate the plug so it is in the lower half of the line.

Edited 1 times.

How taut should a hanger strap be in supporting that 90?

HJ, I would like to replace the 90 as well but am aware of the DIY difficulty in removing a lead joint in order to insert a donut, if that is even the existing connection buried in the wall.

There is a joint "buried" in the wall, but it is NOT at the surface and YOU do not have the equipment or experience to replace it.

I will not argue you on that point. I don't even have a cold chisel. I can just see the hub of the pipe in the wall as I scrape away some of the dirt around it.

hj, what is your advice on supporting the elbow enough so that it does not disturb that in wall connection?

NOTHING is going to "disturb" that connection in the wall. LEAVE IT ALONE.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.