Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water Hammer Arrester
Author: nicholas123 (FL)

If I don't notice water hammer, do I still need an arrester? I am replacing my home's copper pipes with cpvc. My existing pipes have air chambers, but they are most likely not working because it's been proven air chambers fill with water rather quickly. Since I don't see or hear water hammer, I am reluctant to install store-bought water hammer arresters. I may not need them because my water pressure is on the low side...40 psi. However, like most people, I am replacing my copper pipe with the same size cpvc pipe. However, the inside diameter of 3/4" cpvc is about 14% less than 3/4" copper pipe, so my water velocity should increase. I could use a "wait and see approach"...install the new pipe without the arresters and see if I notice any water hammer. If no hammer, than I am good. If hammer, install the arresters. So, my question boils down to: If you don't notice water hammer, can your plumbing system still be damaged over the years? Thank you.

By the way, the cpvc manufacturers say their pipe will absorb the water hammer so you probably don't need arresters. The arrester manufacturers say you still need arresters even if cpvc makes the hammer noise go away because the shock waves will still damage your plumbing.

Re: Water Hammer Arrester
Author: hj (AZ)

All I can tell you is that I have NEVER installed water hammer arrestors and none of my customers have ever mentioned having water hammer. Water hammer is a function of high velocity and fast closing faucets.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

What's wrong with the copper? Why CPVC?

Author: nicholas123 (FL)

I wish I knew why copper doesn't last around here; South Florida. There are many theories: Electrolysis from grounding home electrical system to pipe, excess chlorination from city, minerals in water, etc.

South Florida was covered by the ocean years ago, so we have coral rock, limestone, etc. in the ground. You are lucky if you have more than 1 inch of topsoil. Digging a trench or planting a tree is a major job in itself. The water is very hard and alkaline. I believe the pH is around 8. I ordered some test strips online so I can confirm the pH.

Schedule M copper pipe last less than 10 years before developing pin holes. This is the third set of pipes I am going to install. Several local plumbers told me they don't install copper anymore around here.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.