Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Thread sealant with polypropylene nipple?
Author: krazy (CA)

Hi all,

I'm considering using this polypropylene nipple:
[www.mcmaster.com]

With this polyethylene fitting:
[www.plumbingsupply.com]

...to connect to the female end of a chrome-plated brass 1/4 turn valve.

However, on McMaster, it says at the bottom:
'Connections:Threaded (NPT). The use of thread sealant is recommended; use of pipe tape is not recommended.'

(It recommends this thread sealant: [www.mcmaster.com])

Should I get that, and apply it to both ends of the nipple (which connect to polyethylene and chrome-plated brass)?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thread sealant with polypropylene nipple?
Author: steve (CA)

You can use any paste sealant that states it's ok for plastic piping. All the ones that I've seen, that contain Teflon, have stated ok for plastic.

Author: vic (CA)

No need for tape or thread sealant with that fitting.

Care to explain why, vic?

Author: packy (MA)

i believe vic is talking about that elbow you want to use. no pipe dope needed on either side of it.
pipe dope will be needed for attaching the chrome stop to the nipple.

Author: hj (AZ)

It appears to have a rubber "gasket" in the pipe thread side.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Two fittings may not be necessary, but since we don't know specifics, who knows. My father use to say," there's a fitting for anything you can think of". It may not be easy to get, but I've found it to be true.

Author: hj (AZ)

Believe me, with the amount of time he has been working on this, he could have found almost any fitting he needed.

Thank you! thumbs

Heh smiling smiley

You guys have been awesome putting up with my amateur hour questions. Thank you!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.