Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Single shower faucet, mixing valve replaced many times.
Author: msutterlin (CA)

Hello, I need help. Ny shower is leaking into the walls and on ground in front of front door. I live in 2 story. My shower will not shut off properly. I have replaced many valves because people will crank the faucet off so it will kinda stop. The washers at end of valve need replacing constantly on end of valve. I thought maybe the seating needed replaced but i am not sure if there is even one to remove. Please help. Replacing it will not work any more.

Re: Single shower faucet, mixing valve replaced many times.

I have a pic, just not sure how to post it

Author: packy (MA)

if the valve has washers held in place by a screw, it has seats. whether they are replaceable or need be ground smooth with a seat grinding tool depends??
look at the top of the intro page for the yellow box with directions for posting a picture..

ohh thx for the image help. I do not use photobucket.

As for the seating, I can feel in there that it is raised in there on ride side and almost flush on left. I see it has a different steel in there, looks like brass, a very thin layer. I bought the cone seating removal tool but to no avail.

Author: packy (MA)

if the seat has a round hole in the center it is non-removable.
if the hole is square or hex shaped it is removable.

ok, then that answers that, it is non removable. so then most likely I would need to cut out and replace the whole thing? I am wondering if this was an issue from the start, because it is not flush in there.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Once a faucet starts dripping, it erodes the seat also. Then the new washers are being torn by the rough, sharp edged seat. I'd open up a wall and replace with a pressure balanced Delta. A cover plate may be required.

yea, I can do the replacing thing, my only problem is that I don't have the tools for sodering.

Author: hj (AZ)

If you cannot solder, then you probably CANNOT "do the replacing thing", I am not sure you even know what you are working with. The seats may be removable, but you are looking them incorrectly. I would call a plumber while the valve is still possibly repairable, before you do something to "wreck" it.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.