Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Closet Flange
Author: dw85745 (AZ)

I searched forum but didn't find my answer.

I want to use an "Inside" NOT " outside" flange so that the flange fits inside the 4 inch pipe.
I have purchased an inside "Sioux Chief" which has a rubber seal but it is plastic.

QUESTIONS:
1) Does anyone make a inside fitting flange with an stainless adjustable ring?
2) Is there a preferred way to position the ring so the slots end up with most of the smaller slot portion parallel to the toilet? (I always seem to end up with very little of the smaller slot on either side as the entry area for the closet bolt always seems to be too close because of how the flange is manufacturered).
3) Are the newer seals - rather than a wax ring - a better alternative to stop any potential leaking?

Thanks
David

Edited 1 times.

Re: Closet Flange
Author: hj (AZ)

1. SIoux Chief makes them, but whether anyone stocks them depends on where you live.
2. I have no idea what you are asking. You install the flange then rotate it to the proper position.
3. i have never used them.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

2. I always position the flange so that the elongated holes of the flange are to the front and back of the toilet. They are easiest to break out so I don't use them. I use the small narrow slots of the flange for the bolts.
3. Stay with 100% wax.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

DITTO

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: m & m (MD)

I rotate the flange so that the bolt ends up at the extreme end of the slot as much as is possible. This provides the maximum holding strength provided by the flange and less chance of the bolt pulling through the slot.

Author: jerco (MD)

A 3" closet flange will glue to the inside of 4" pipe.

Author: jerco (MD)

Flange top ring made of corrosion resistant type 430 stainless steel or solid brass
Ring is 360° adjustable
Flange is 1/2" thick creating a stronger, more durable flange
Will not rust or degrade over time
Rings will not pop off the flange when closet bolts are tightened during installation
Fits inside 4" sch. 40 pipe and over 3" pipe
Proudly made in the USA

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Thanks for responses.

1)
Had hope someone had used other than a wax rings.
My understanding they (other than wax) are commonly used in the travel industry because of over the road flexing, however must be siliconed to bottom of toilet prior to toilet install.

2)
FWIW, regarding the ring positioning, if you look at the picture in the previous post, when the ring is rotated so it is perpendicular to the toilet, the entry slots for the closet bolts tend to be located - IMO - closer than then should be the bolt centerline. Yes, I know you try and split the difference on either side, but I have always felt that a industry redesign is in order so that the closet bolts doesn't rest so close to its entry slots.

Regarding ring rotation, the above pic is the first I've seen with only two slots. WHich is great. Most flanges seem to have multiple slots and the slot entry slots seem to be closer to the bolt centerline.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.