Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 gas stove shutoff placement
Author: mwr (IN)

My old house has a gas range. The shutoff though is directly below in the basement. I know that's not code, however, was that ever allowed?

My reasoning to leave it is if you needed to shut off in emergency, isn't it easier to go downstairs and shut off from under the range rather than pulling a a hot, burning stove out from the wall and wiggling to the back of it to shut off the gas?

Re: gas stove shutoff placement
Author: hj (AZ)

Even having a gas shut off on the other side of a wall is illegal.

Author: packy (MA)

the regulation states that a shutoff to a gas appliance must be in the same room.
i'm sure the intention of the regulation is for servicing or removal not for emergency situations.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Keep in mind that when gas violations are discovered, the utility shuts it off until the violation is brought up to code. Now that you know its wrong and a violation, I'd call a licensed plumber and have it corrected. Your home insurance agent will agree.

Best Wishes

Author: dsc3507 (PA)

Put one at the back of the stove AND in the basement. Then you are code and also have an a second emergency shutoff. I put shutoffs in any long run especially if a union is involved. Use full flow ball valve shutoffs.

I agree the shutoff is for maintainance. If it were in some other room or the basement and someone pulled the stove out and broke the flex line or disconnected it without shutting off the gas there could be a real emergency with the delay in finding the shutoff. You know where it is but does someone else!

Author: packy (MA)

at one time, MA had modified their gas code to require a gas cock immediately inside the foundation wall. it was supposed to be an emergency valve.
well, we had to put them there irregardless of where the pipe came into the house.
sometimes the pipe entered at the far end of a 2 foot crawlspace. still had to put the emergency shutoff.
now, in case of an emergency, would you crawl 30 feet to shut off a valve or just shut it at the meter?
the code has since been changed.

Author: dsc3507 (PA)

The problem with the outside shutoff is you need a wrench to shut it off. Do most people have a wrench handy? Would your wife know where to find one and how to do it? I think in earthquake prone zones they hang a wrench near the valve. I guess that wouldn't be a bad idea in general. Some codes require a valve on the customer side of the meter.

If the stove is on fire, turning off the gas is not going to make the situation better, so get out of the house, call 911, and then turn off the gas at the meter.

The fire department will have the wrench.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.