Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Maytag washer problem
Author: Terry s (KS)

I have an older maytag washer Model LA211 Seroes 04. It had been having a slight squeak when starting to agitate. The transmission belt was starting to crack so I replaced both belts. The motor moves freely so the guides and springs appear to be in good shape. Yesterday it filled and would not agitate and there was a burning smell that smelled like electrical. I put it through the rinse & spin cycles to drain the water. then restarted it and it washed a load ok. Today I checked for leaks etc. and found no problems. It now works but it has a fairly loud squeal when starting to agitate.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Maytag washer problem
Author: Paul48 (CT)

Try PartSelect.com............They have an Instant Repairman section and it will give you a diagnosis based on % (80% of the time, that noise is this).It may point you at something to look at.

Author: m & m (MD)

Repairclinic.com

Author: bernabeu (SC)

factory authorized repair service . spend a buck

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Out of curiousity.....Did you clean the pulleys when you changed the belts? When the belts start slipping, they glaze the pulleys. Were you careful to put the tensioner back correctly with the new belt?

bernabeau....re: Spend a buck

Would that be one of the 8-10 thousand bucks I lost in cuts this year? Maybe this person is an unemployed union plumber.Be thankful for what you have, and be generous enough to help this person, if you can.

if he is asking on the 'net then AFTER the coupe de grace he will spend BIGGER bucks purchasing a new machine

of course I wish him good luck, but, he has already spent money on belts without knowing if they were actually the problem

if he likes to tinker - wonderful

if he is broke and gives it a try - wonderful

either way, there is NO WAY we can help him via internet chatter

2-5(a) BELTS

Look closely at the surface of the belt. If you see any of the problems shown in figure G-8, replace it.

Broken or worn out belts are a common problem. See the chapter on your brand for specific details about changing the belt(s) on your model. If you EVER find a broken belt, check for a locked pump, transmission or other pulley before replacing the belt.

7-9 TRANSMISSION

I do not recommend the novice trying to replace a transmission in a Maytag washer, for several reasons. It requires expensive special tools, for a one-time job. And by the time you throw in a brake package, stem and seal kit, etc., it is usually just not worth it. Besides, is a VERY difficult job.

If the transmission drive pulley is locked up, call a qualified service technician or junk the washer.

ps. same message, more politeness

pps. as a 'hail mary' : [www.partselect.com]

Edited 3 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.