Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 PVC Glue Joint Push Out
Author: dazataz (ME)

Guys,
Using standard Oatey Purple Primer and Regular Clear Glue from the big box stores..in doing hundreds of joints on my project - 1 1/4 -3" dia, I had a few joints push out a bit...some about 1/8" (that I dismissed) and one was 3/16" which I didn't like and redid, more a PITA than anything else as I didn't have extras around.
Just wondering what is acceptable and normal? I bevel the outside every time and do the Socket/Pipe/Socket primer coat, then the Pipe/Socket/Pipe glue coat per can instructions, I hold all joints for at least 60 seconds if not closer to 90.
Do these pushouts come from too much glue? There must be a large safety factor built into these things, especially if it's just residential wasdte/vent lines.
Thought? What's normal?

Re: PVC Glue Joint Push Out
Author: bernabeu (SC)

when you 'final assemble' do you insert the pipe with a 1/8-1/4 twisting motion ?

if, do so, and hold ALL joints for 90 sec+

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

You twist the fitting to break the surface tension and then hold it in place, not necessarily for 90 seconds.

yup, forgot to say, twist all I can, sometimes I'm in a spot that can't be twisted. Can't seem to figure out why it happens, maybe 1 in 20 jts.
The real question is what is acceptable for push out?

Theoretically, ZERO, because it creates a "depression" or groove in the water flow.

I respectfully disagree smiling smiley- looking inside a San-tee the inside of the Fitting is Beveled opposite my inside Bevel and that in itself creates a depression. That said, I plan on 9/16"-5/8" engagement on an 1-1/2" s40 pipe - I think the flat part of the socket is 9/16". Getting a joint engaged to 5/8" is doable but can be rough in spots - engaging more than that is possible considering my outside bevel would mate with the fittings inside bevel closing that depression - but this has never occurred for me.

nonetheless - I'm still curious about what plumbers generally accept as normal - zero would not be realistic unless they aren't trying to engage as much as me.thinking

Author: vic (CA)

Zero pushout (speaking as a former plumbing contractor and college plumbing instructor).

Vic, Thanks, I strive for that but zero combined with absolute full engagement can't be obtainable 100% of the time - as I stated in my experience building 2 homes, I probably have about 1 in 20 that push out more than a 1/16" and that 1/16" is probably from the beveling interface. 1/8" and 3/16" were the scary ones. I probably replaced about 3-4 ftgs over the two homes in the larger 3/16" range - all were bigger than 1 1/2" dia.
So, I stand by that plumbers must ignor some at the 1/16". I can tell you that my work was done at normal temps using new product and extreme attention to detail. I'm no slouch - so I attribute the pushout to some other phenonemon that is not defined by the technique(s) used. Must be something like the pairing of those particular pipe pieces and fittings don't like each other smiling smiley The most recent one was held for at least 90 seconds if not 2 minutes, I laid it down, laid-out other pipes, cut,& prepped them, came back 15-30 minutes later and there it was pushed out 3/16". Go figure, so off I went to buy 2 new fittings and redid it.

quote; I'm still curious about what plumbers generally accept as normal - zero would not be realistic unless they aren't trying to engage as much as me.thinking

ZERO. You apply the glue to both sides of the joint and push the two pieces together. Unless your cement has turned to "jelly" it WILL slide ALL THE WAY IN, and after you twist and hold it it will STAY THERE. After you have been doing this for over 60 years and THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of joints, you may agree, or at least learn to do it correctly.

Edited 1 times.

smiling smiley

DO IT RIGHT OR NOT AT ALL

smiling smiley

"SMOOTH INTEGRAL BORE" is a code requirement for drainage

smiling smiley

quote; DO IT RIGHT OR NOT AT ALL

In their own minds, they are ALL doing it "right". What do facts have anything to do with it?

over 60 years!!!
Author: packy (MA)

PVC hasn't been in residential use that long.

Re: over 60 years!!!

I REALLY wonder which word is not understood:

SMOOTH

INTEGRAL

BORE

???

Author: sum (FL)

But you can't see the made joints on the inside, so may be the carefully crafted smooth integral bore with a little too much solvent, a portion of it got pushed out of the sleeve into the pipe, and formed a bump integral bore.

I appreciate and thank you all for the input

After reading many other threads here - the consensus is to rotate AFTER bottoming and to not use too much glue - I wrapped up another set of Vents today and was careful to use less glue and twist AFTER full seat. These joints were all much less prone to pushing out - some didn't - some still did about 1/16".

Us DIYers may tend to be more caring such as square cuts, use nick free pipes, consistant bevels, and lengthly holding times on glueing. Some tradesmen may (and I've read a few here on plbg) are a little less worried about things that I care about, not that it matters, but that is what I was looking for, apparently, I got responses from all the plumbers that I would hire, the ones who would do it like it was their own, the ones who care.

So, in full respect - some of the threads here become useless with too much nonsense smiling smiley
I appreciate and thank you all for the input although the answers seemed slanted towards perfection and theory, not the top of the bell curve average plumber smiling smiley. for example, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to have a Smooth Bore - the Bevel at the bottom of the Sockets ABSOLUTELY prevents it unless you are putting a full thickness knife-edge chamfer on your pipe ends and push that much furthur.

Mystery solved, don't use too much glue, twist at bottom of seat - hold at least 1-2 minutes. No-one's perfect, shoot for zero, get what you get smiling smiley

Edited 1 times.

Re: I appreciate and thank you all for the input

you miss our point:

AIM for perfect

EXPECT excellent

SETTLE for very good

DEBATE EVERYTHING while you are working

Author: sum (FL)

ah bernabeu, but the reality is:

EXCELLENT WORKMANSHIP AND BEST PRACTICES
FAST SERVICE
AFFORDABLE RATE

Most times, one has to pick two out of three.

in that case I choose AFFORDABLE and EXCELLENT

and give up FAST

At least not in Chicago. But I was indulging in some hyperbole.

quote; hold at least 1-2 minutes

If I hold EVERY joint for 1-2 minutes, you just increased the cost of the job. 25 joints or so would equal at least another $100.00, minimum.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.