Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Kitchen drainline damaged, bypass inside house?
Author: itsttl (MI)

Here is a rough drawing:

I have a kitchen sink that is not draining and it is doing it chronically. I also have excessive moisture in the basement near the kitchen drain outlet in the concrete foundation. I cannot dig to see drain line outside because a large cement patio is above it (which is probably crushing it). I can dig between the porch and the closest toilet stack to cap it off once I join them, but my question is, even though there is enough slope to get the kitchen drain water to the stack are there any downsides do doing this I have not thought of?

Also, the vent stack for the kitchen is clogged as well. I would just put a hose down it but this old house has the cast iron vent connected to the kitchen sink PVC with a rubber boot with clamps, and this coupler is 5 inches (literally) above the breaker box and generator transfer switch.... I am sure that the water flushing down the stack would blow this rubber coupler off because, well, everything that can go wrong in this house has. The sink is right above the electrical box too and when I plunged the sink drain the compression fitting blew right off and a whole sink full of water leaked down JUST to the right of the electrical box thanks to the slant of the floor haha.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope my idea is possible.

Re: Kitchen drainline damaged, bypass inside house?
Author: hj (AZ)

Well, the first thing is that plunging a drain line should NEVER "break" a connection of any kind. Your description does not convince me that your diagnosis is correct as to what the REAL problem is.

The compression fitting that came off was the one below the sink drain before the Y (two sink basins in sink). It blew off because the plumber never put a slip ring on the pipe before screwing down the fitting.

Just to update my own thread incase anyone comes along having the same issues:

I cleared the vent line with a garden hose and a drill powered pipe snake. The rubber boot did come loose as I predicted but I put a larger slit pipe around it before clearing the vent and saved my electrical box. The water flowed just inches to the right of it. Drain is still clogged :|

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.