Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Tub leak
Author: will107777 (IN)

So I'm pretty sure my tub/shower drain is leaking. I noticed some water in my basement right under my tub (I have a drop ceiling in the basement). So I went upstairs to the bathroom and removed the panel behind my shower to take a look, and it looks like water is leaking around what I think is the drain pipe, where all the rust is. The leak is slow - when I run the shower I get a little stream that drips into my basement. I have pics if the area below. So is this something I can try to fix myself, or should I call someone? What needs to be done? Does the rust mean I need a new tub? Thanks

Re: Tub leak

Just to be clear, all of my pics are from the access panel I removed to the back of my shower.

Author: HelpMePlumb (FL)

This might be the easiest leak you'll ever repair cause you have easy access to your problem area. Unscrew the overflow assembly from the front and remove the rubber gasket. Go get a replacement for it and reassemble. Bam - Good to go.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'd probably use a little dab of silicon on the new gasket where it meets the tub, just to be sure that it sealed well against the rusty surface.

I can't get the screws to budge, I think they might be rusted. Any idea how to get a screw to turn? I'm afraid if I keep trying I'll strip the head

Try to lube the screws (from behind too) with a little WD40 first - let the WD work for 5 minutes - then get a BIGGER screwdriver and turn em.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Correct, the screws are in brass at the back so they shouldn't be frozen. Don't be afraid to really put the torque to them.

Ok, so I WD the screws, put a ton of pressure, and turned - the head began to move, but unfortunately it was so rusted the screw twisted itself in half. I tried getting some pliers and twisting the screw from the back access panel and can't get it to budge. The other screw is becoming badly striped on the head. So I'm guessing this means whoever installed this didn't use the right kind of screws right? Aren't bathroom screws supposed to be rust proof?

Anyways, any other last minute ideas before I call a plumber?

If the screws are in that bad a shape just get a good metal bit a tad smaller guage than the screw and drill right thru them. Take your time and you'll reduce them to a pile of mush. Done in 10 minutes and no plumber bill.

Author: hopes2 (WI)

For future reference I highly recommend Kano Kroil for rusted and or corroded threads.
Puts all other products to shame.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.