Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Supply line setup for garage utility sink
Author: BigReg1500 (CT)

I decided to go with a freestanding utility tub rather than cabinets and drop in utility sink in my garage (earlier post).

I need some ideas for running the supply lines in the garage so that I can drain or turn off in extreme cold weather. The garage generally does not get below freezing, but I want to play it safe. I'm not all that concerned with aesthetics, just function & safety.
Garage is half of the lower level, insulated basement is the other half. I have access to the plumbing in the basement directly behind where the garage sink will be.

Any recommendations? Frost free hose bibbs into the basement section? Regular isolation valves inside basement, and a drain valve in the garage?
What do you pro's usually do?

Re: Supply line setup for garage utility sink

I forgot to mention that in this install, the sink will need a lift pump to reach the main line out to septic, it's about 5' off the floor.
I already have a Liberty 404 and a drain/vent connection roughed in and hanging from the garage ceiling.

If I ever had to freeze-proof this setup, I would have to disconnect the Liberty and bring in to the warm part of the house too, wouldn't I? Maybe locate both the supply and the pump crock on the warm side of the wall?

Author: hj (AZ)

shutoff AND drain valves in the basement.

Just pour RV antifreeze in it, until it starts, and then pull the plug when it shuts off.

So if the shutoff valve is inside basement, what do you do about the water trapped in the supply lines? Disconnect, blow out?

I suppose I could add a blow-out valve for those lines like I recently did on my hose bibb lines?

Open the faucet. If the sink is in the garage it should be above the water shutoff valves.

Author: packy (MA)

i'd put the pump in the basement as well.
trap under the utility sink will need antifreeze in the winter.
pump etc will stay warm all winter.
as hj said, shutoffs and drains in the basement as well.
if the water drains are lower than the utility sink all you need do is shut off the feeds and open the drains and utility faucet. mother nature does the rest.

I sketched this up real quick. I promise my plumbing is much neater and cleaner than my drawing...

Is this the basic idea, or should I keep the trap under the sink in the garage? I had already bought fittings/valves to make a blow-out setup, but if I can just use gravity that would work just as well.

Edited 1 times.

the check valve is going to keep the discharge pipe above it full. need to figure out a way to drain it.
I would put the trap under the sink.

What about extending drain branch through wall in basement, and put check valve at highest point there so none would be left in the drain pipe in garage?

Actually, the main waste line runs through the basement on the way out to the tank, so I have access to cut in another branch for this pump discharge. I'll just cut and cap off the stub I roughed in the garage already.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

vent the running "U" sink trap into the tank vent

tee with drain on 'bull' above the pump discharge check back into vent line

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Why would I need an extra vent on the trap? The drain would only be going about 18" from sink to tank.

Also, I don't know what you mean by the "bull". What is that?

That is why I said to use RV antifreeze and then run the pump. It will fill the discharge line and sump basin.

putting a check valve way up high would be like not having one.
keep it where it is. cut in a tee just above it. should be able to find a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 3/4 plactic tee. put a hose valve into the 3/4 side and drain out the pipe in the winter.
as for bernebeu's bull tee... that refers to the orietation of the tee.

packy,

what I meant was: put a tee above the check and run the branch/bull via a ball valve into the vent - open the valve, line is drained quick and easy

for the OP:

all tees have a 'bull' outlet - that is the 'branch' usually

tees are 'called' run-run-bull - a 2 x 1/2 tee would actually be 2x2x1/2

a 'bull headed' tee is a tee where the bull / branch is a larger size than the run
eg. 2x1 bull head tee = 1 x 1 x 2 run-run-bull

one may also have 3 sized tees (usually used for reducing)
eg. 3x2x1 = 3 run - 2 run - 1 bull
3x1x2 = 3 run - 1 run - 2 bull

fine point: it is ALWAYS run/run/bull, the larger run 'called' first

1.25 x 1 x 2 tee = run x run x bull

Edited 3 times.

probably don't need a vent for it to work

18" should be ok

got hung up on code

quote; putting a check valve way up high would be like not having one.

ALL check valves have water on both sides of them. On top sitting on the flapper and below being held by the vacuum created BY the flap. IF the flap leaks, then NEITHER condition occurs.

And then you get in to "3 way side outlet tees" and side outlet elbows which have 3 openings like a tee.

Thanks guys, I've learned something new here.

Wow, as always, I've learned something new here. Thanks guys. Think I have enough to go on for this setup now.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.