Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Alarm
Author: 37chevy (MN)

My grinder pump is working fine but the alarms keep going off,I can silence it but light stays on any help would be great thanks

Re: Alarm
Author: hj (AZ)

The alarms are going off for some reason. Find out why and fix the problem. Do you have one pump or two?

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

One float switch or two? One for pump control and the the other for alarm? You will have to pop the hatch and see what's going on. The alarm float switch could be out adjustment, or hanging up on something.

I have 3 floats, none are hanging and they are all clean could one of them be bad?

Yes, you could have a bad float switch. Also you might need to adjust the alarm switch differential so that there's a little more "gap" between the pump and alarm kick-in points.

How can I test the floats to see if they are bad?

Assuming you have the bulb-type tethered float switches, manually raise and lower each one to identify what each one does, and in what sequence. They rarely short out. If any water gets inside the float thru a crack or whatever, the float will become heavy and sluggish and not trip when it's supposed to. Water inside can also corrode the contacts as to make them un-reliable.
Manually trip the pump switch to empty the chamber; turn the power off to the pump, and back on again. The alarm should stay off. If it comes on, you might have a problem on the control circuit board.

Edited 2 times.

quote; manually raise and lower each one to identify what each one does, and in what sequence.

"Raising and lowering" them will tell him NOTHING. The floats have to turned upside down to see if they are activating.

I should have said "raise and lower the tethered switches thru their ARC of travel" to be more accurate. Rotating a float switch "upside down" (i.e. twisting it on it's axis) will produce no result either.

Turning it upside down IS rotating it through its "arc of travel", since the ultimate arc of travel is "upside down" when the float is at the end of its tether.

I guess it all boils down to the subtle variations of the english language. In your Arizona, one might say "Operate your turn signal", whereas in Packy's neck of the woods they would say "Use Yah Blinkah". Here in the south we refer to "upside down" as what happens when we flip a pancake to cook the backside. smiling smiley

quote; "upside down" as what happens when we flip a pancake to cook the backside.

It is also what happens when you take a float hanging on a wire, and the turn it over so the wire hangs from the float.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

actually 'most' floats SWXs 'float' sideways, albeit not perfectly horizontal

or

laterally

or

akilter

or

tipped (or tipsy)

or topsy turvey

"'Twas Brillig and the slithey Toves, did gyre and gimbel in the wabe.................."

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.