Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Kitchen Sink Relocation
Author: rlwfish (MD)

Hello all,

I am planning a kitchen remodel in the next 6 months or so that will involve relocating the kitchen sink from an interior wall to an exterior wall under a window.

I am not terribly concerned about running the supply lines, but I am concerned about properly draining and venting. The existing sink drains to the main stack but that is pretty far from where the new sink would be. I have another stack that serves the laundry and utility sink in the basement that runs through the exterior wall where the new sink would be.

Here is my situation in plan and elevation drawings. I have labeled what I think I can do to avoid running back to the main stack:

[lh4.googleusercontent.com]

[lh6.googleusercontent.com]

I'm probably missing something basic here. Please let me know if this will work or what I should do to make it work and be safe. I can revise the drawings and repost.

Thanks!

Re: Kitchen Sink Relocation
Author: hj (AZ)

You are "missing" that the 2" line is NOT a drain/vent. It is a vent and therefore cannot be used for your sink drain.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ditto

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks for the responses. Back to the drawing board it is.

For my education: The length of pipe installed above the laundry/utility sink drain(s) was installed for venting only...so draining anything into that would be considered wet venting. Is that correct?

Obviously the water coming from the laundry and sink is draining below that point and joining the main line somewhere under the slab.

It seems to me I will need to get the kitchen sink drain back to the main stack through the walls or basement.

Author: packy (MA)

you will either have to drain the new kitchen into a fitting that is attached below the laundry connection and then vent the new kitchen into the 2 inch vent stack.
or, cut a tee into the arm extending out for the laundry and vent the laundry up to a point 42 inches above the first floor. you may then use the 2 inch as a drain.

quote; so draining anything into that would be considered wet venting. Is that correct?

Correct as far as it goes, but you CANNOT "wet vent" from one floor to the other. You either run it to the main line, OR connect it below the washer/laundry connection with its own vent.

From his drawing he has TWO tees facing in opposite directions and EACH would have to be vented back to the 2" line 42" above the upstairs floor.

Author: m & m (MD)

In MD, a kitchen sink cannot share the same branch as a washer. More drawing board.

Thanks all - sorry for the delay in getting back on this...I decided to rebuild my bathroom.

My CAD file got corrupted so I did a hand sketch:

[lh4.googleusercontent.com]

I think it might be OK to run the drain around the corner as long as the distance, drain size, and slope are correct. My only concerns are whether I can vent to the laundry stack...and how do I get the stack vent and the drain line around each other in the wall?

I haven't opened the wall up yet so I'm not sure how much clearance I have.

Thanks again!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.