Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 pressure drops when pump kicks back in.
Author: billteale (NC)

Just changed the pressure switch on my deep well pump. The pump is sitting between (and providing water for) my house (below well) and another trailer, situated 50 yards up an incline.

The switch is a 40/60 and I haven't turned either of the screws on the switch. The tank has 38psi, and is a pretty new tank with no signs of wear.

The pressure switch works perfectly as it should. It turns the pump on just below the 40 mark, and turns it off around the 60psi mark, according to the (new) pressure gauge I installed this weekend along with the switch.

The problem is that when the pump comes back on there is an immediate loss of pressure for an instant - the gauge goes down to zero. The pump continues to pump, and the pressure comes back up steadily, but of course the flow in the houses is affected for a few brief seconds.

This happens every time the switch turns the pump back on.

Does anybody have any ideas what might be causing it?

Thanks!

Re: pressure drops when pump kicks back in.
Author: hj (AZ)

Regardless of what the gauges say, the pressure in the tank is too high. Before the actual pressure reaches 40 psi to turn the pump on, the higher pressure in the tank has forced all the water out, so you have a moment between the tank running out of water and the pump turning on when there is no pressure. Reduce the tank pressure. There is really no detriment for the tank pressure being more than 2 psi below the switch pressure.

Re: pressure drops when pump kicks back in.
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Correct, either lower the air pressure in the tank a few pounds, or increase the cut in- off setting on the switch a few pounds.

Thank you, it worked perfectly

Thank you to both of you who responded, it worked perfectly! I was so worried it was something serious!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thank you, it worked perfectly

Actually, as an addition to this, it did work for a day or so, but then the same issue came back, so I got a professional out, who believes it is either a worn out pump or a leaking well. He is going to pull the pump out of the well to take a look.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.