Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Help! soldering two 3/4" street elbow style to get an S
Author: hydrocynus (FL)

I am new to soldering copper (although I solder circuit boards all electrical all the time). I had to remove the 3/4 shut off valve because it was stuck in the water off position.

The system to be replace calls for:
water in = 3/4" copper pipe connected to a 3/4" street elbow (it has a reduced diam.) that sweats into another 3/4" street elbow which reduced diameter sweats into the shut off valve. Then the other side of the shut off valve (straight) connects to another 3/4" street elbow which fits to a 3/4" copper pipe.

Soldering to the copper pipe was no problem. However soldering the two sweat street elbow did not work because the soldering agent beads down the pipe (vertical soldering here). The melted metal does not get sucked in by capillarity between the two fittings. I tried everything unsuccessfully.

This drives me nuts because I have to then shut off the water, unsolder everything, remove all the water, sand the pipes...

Help! Are these supposed to be soldered together?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Help! soldering two 3/4" street elbow style to get an S
Author: x apprentice 22 (MA)

Did you clean and flux the copper? Your valve must be open to let the steam out or it will push the solder out of your joints.

Author: hj (AZ)

You are not trying to solder with your electrical rosin core solder, are you? You are describing the problem with a joint which is not properly fluxed.

Edited 1 times.

hello all, thanks for your help.

I am using silver bearing lead free solder diam. 3mm (bernzomatic brand). The pipes were cleaned and sanded using the proper tool (twist stainless steel bristles brush). The flux I am using is water soluble plumbing flux (bernzomatic).

before soldering I added the flux on each part. Today, I tried with regular elbows and 3/4" copper pipe as a nipple. It did not work again. So, I clearly am doing something wrong. I had no leaks on the copper pipes that sweat onto the shut off valve though.

Still puzzled. My pipe is hot enough since as soon as I add the solder, it melts, but it tends to bead and does not get sucked in.

I used a wick to remove all the water in the pipe and the shut off valve is disassembled to allow the air to freely move in and out.

I really do not know what I am doing wrong. Should I add some flux just before I solder when the pipe is scorching hot?

Water soluble flux can be very difficult to work with. If you get it too hot it will "burn" and do just what you describe. "painting" flux on the joint would just "clean" the visible area, it would do nothing to get the solder to flow into the joint. We cannot tell you what you are doing wrong just by seeing your description of how you are doing it, but since we do it many times a day without that difficulty, it is obvious you are doing something wrong.

Author: m & m (MD)

Try Oatey # 5 flux. [www.homedepot.com]

Thanks - Best to all!

Hello all,

it was the flux. I did not use enough. I did have the problem about the water soluble flux getting too hot for the soldering that was in a very tight recessed place. I am happy that all went well after all but I sweated a lot of sweat (hot in Florida). Best to all!

Edited 1 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

Send some of that FL heat up this way, would ya?

If you have excess rain, we will trade some AZ heat for it.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

also make sure you clean the inside of the fitting well before applying flux

use either 160 aluminum oxide 'plumbers roll' or a dedicated fitting brush

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.