Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Modine Shop Heaters - Power requirements?
Author: BigReg1500 (CT)

Have any of you ever installed a modine shop heater?

I've talked with my HVAC contractor about the hot water version for my garage shop. I'm roughing the PEX lines for him before I finish sheetrocking my garage.
I can't find anything in their online I&S manuals about the electrical requirements other than it's a regular 115v draw. In fact, I can't even find the amperage of the unit either.

Do I need a dedicated circuit for these, similar to my air handlers and boiler and if so, what amperage? I can't imagine these are more than 20amps right?

I'm just trying to do as much as I can ahead of the contractor and not bother him with questions if I can handle it on my own. Thanks

Re: Modine Shop Heaters - Power requirements?
Author: bernabeu (SC)

it would be the amperage draw of the fan itself

their 1/8 HP model = 2.3 Amp @ 115 VAC

Typical

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

don't forget a thermostat wire..

a 'line voltage' thermostat and 'line voltage' wiring will not 'draw' any additional current ~ they will act merely as a thermally controlled automatic switch

packy, ? accurate enough ?

Author: packy (MA)

not what i meant.
the poster said he was running wires and piping for the heater and i wanted to remind him to not forget to run a T-stat wire.

smiling smiley

gotcha

wink

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Make sure the pex is big enough to carry the btus, and the circ is sized accordingly.Make sure it's HEpex, especially if it's going to a cast-iron boiler. Sorry....I know that's not what you asked. Just thinking out loud.

Edited 2 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; a 'line voltage' thermostat and 'line voltage' wiring will not 'draw' any additional current ~

If they have an "anticipator" circuit, they will draw "additional current". Something like about a 1/000 amp.

Thanks all.
-Contractor gave me the 3/4" heat pex he wanted me to run.
-I'll add this power supply either to the garage circuit or a dedicated one to be consistent with the other mechanicals in the house.
-I think the T-stat wire will be surface mounted because I don't know where contractor is going to want to place it.

Oh and Paul - this isn't a cast iron boiler. I have a brand spanking new wall-hung Weill 97+ condensing with the Companion Water Heater. Awesome boiler, it's like NASA is making my hot water - only not at a price of $1000/gallon!

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; Contractor gave me the 3/4" heat pex

WE have to assume it has the oxygen barrier, but if not, you will be plagued with air infiltration.

Are ya running it on outdoor reset? The Modine kinda runs in opposition to a mod/con. It wants higher temps, which is going to make circulation critical to keep the return temps down and keep that wall-hung condensing.If it's not condensing, you're only getting about 85% efficiency out of it.

hj,

ya got me

OP,

3/4 PEX would be the equivalent of 1/2 pipe ~ check with Modine to make sure you will have the BTU capacity desired

The stat for a Modine hydronic heater should cycle the fan on and off and would be line voltage (no anticipator needed) unless you use a relay control system with independent zone valves.

The stat location should NOT be in the airflow path of the heater - the wall BEHIND the heater (in the 'return air' flow would be ideal - assuming a horizontal air delivery/vertical mount unit)

The 3/4 hePex is just shy of 11/16ths ID. Might be a little small depending on the output of the heater.

and the ID of the 'barb' connectors would be ??

Is that relevant, other than creating more head for the circ? Honest question, not intended to be smart...

more head (back)pressure = less GPM pumped

w/o the specs we can not know if the output would be sufficient

from my memory most Modine heaters have 1" or larger (F)NPT tappings

These new mod/con boilers are amazing. They require a lot of work initially to have them function correctly. Sizing emitters, or in this case heaters,so they can provide enough heat to the space at lower temps.They work the best in old systems with cast iron radiators, and high volume.Because of replacement windows and addition of insulation, they tend to be over-radiated.

Yes, it has the O2 barrier, same as the tubing they ran for my 2 hydro-air handlers on this job.

The garage will have the Modine and basement is going to get a hot water baseboard loop, so they're going to have to do a bunch of relay/control work to get those on the boiler and still keep all the features of that boiler (auto-circ to keep lines from freezing when not running/outdoor temp sensor was one I remember).

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.