Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 changing ci 4" service weight soil pipe to pvc ?'s
Author: cvcman (NY)

ok my soil pipe im told is 4" service weight...I want to change the section that comes from the toilet traight down about 3ft then has a ci Y hub then goes about 2ft thru the block wall...right on the basement side of the wall is a hub that the ci is leaded into..

so if I drill the lead and pull it and the packing out SHOULD the pipe slide right out ?? If so what is the best method for adapting the new pve to the hub ?

Also would 4" pvc be best or 3" ??

Thx

Re: changing ci 4" service weight soil pipe to pvc ?'s
Author: hj (AZ)

Why do you want to change it, and why would you want to change 4" to 3"?

I dont WANT to chg it..it has a drip forming on the horizontal pc...but that pc is part of the Y hub so I have no way to cut and fernco ....also I wouldnt chg from 4 to 3 unless you guys thought it would be "better"????would 4" pvc go into 4" ci hub ?

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Use a piece of rubber, some silicone and a hose clamp.

yea its kinda in an odd spot because the Y hub is so short there really isnt any room..my buddy said clean it down and fiberglass cloth it with resin...

its hard to see but here is the pic

[i147.photobucket.com]

Author: Paul48 (CT)

"As seen on TV"...Flex Seal?

I like the fiberglass idea...but I would rather do it right then to cobb it...just not sure how easy the Y will come out of the hub after I remove the lead and oakum...also do I just use a fernco press in hub ?

Author: m & m (MD)

The Y will fall outfon the hub when ALL the lead and oakum are removed. To join PVC into the hub, use a no caulk hub gasket.

so just drill and pull out the lead and oakum....then put the seal in the hub...no silicone or anything around it ?

I assume my hub is marked SV - 4 so a std 4" to 4" pvc gasket ?

Thx

Author: sum (FL)

I am not a plumber but if it were my pipes I wouldn't change it out.

I would first want to determine why there is a leak and if its a hole or an enlarging crack. If its a hole I would plug it and wrap with fiberglass cloth, resin brushed on...if its a crack the corrosion will spread and get bigger and I'll replace.

I had to do this in my house once and I cut off the 3" CI at about 48" off the floor to replace everything below with PVC, silly me I thought the upper section was secured and after I removed the bottom portion, the top slipped out of the roof lead lining and came crashing down. Lucky me I was out of its way.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.