Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 drain problem
Author: oldsailor (IL)

My bathroom sink drains well but the top of the water level in the drain is only about one-half inch below the hole in the sink. As the bowl gets done draining, the level in the drain moves up and down about one inch until it stops. Why is this?

Re: drain problem
Author: Paul48 (CT)

Is there a "P"trap under the sink, or an "S"trap? Can you post a picture?

Edited 1 times.

it's a P-trap. I can't post a picture at this time--perhaps later if my son comes over.

Edited 1 times.

The height of the water suggests a high connection in the wall.The bobbing up and down, is just the water finding level.It sounds like someone put an elbow upward off the back side of the trap.

I don't know if this would help you visualize it, but the bottom of the sink is about 8 inches above the where the top of the trap connects to the outlet pipe.

Does the water level stay just below the drain opening indefinately? Or does it drain down over time?

It stays there indefinitely.

Then there's something that was done in the wall to create a weir, higher than the traps.That's the only explaination I can think of.

I took my shopvac and blew air through the drain and trap and the water level went down. When I turned on the faucet the water level returned to the same high level.
Could there be a vent problem?
I do appreciate your reply Paul48.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; top of the water level in the drain is only about one-half inch below the hole in the sink. As the bowl gets done draining, the level in the drain moves up and down about one inch until it stops.

It might be easier to answer if I knew WHICH 'hole in the sink' you are referring to. It must not be tne one in the bottom of the sink because you would not be able to see the "water level", but if it is overflow opening, that means the sink is full of water so it must not be draining very good. I am completely baffled by that last sentence. What do you mean by the "level in the drain"?

Author: bridge (PA)

I agree with Paul48. Something in the wall plumbing is piped weird. I wouldn't worry about it if it is draining well.
Jim

Thanks to all who responded to my post! winking smiley

I still am curious about why this is happening but I'll take advice and just stop worrying about it.
Thanks to all who responded to my post!

Edited 1 times.

To HJ:
Perhaps I should say the water level in the pipe that connects the p-trap to the sink is very close to the drain hole in the bottom of the sink.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Water will always seek its own level. For example, one could take a clear tube and fill it with water. As you raise on end of the water filled tube, one will notice the water changing levels so that both ends of the tube are the same height.

Sailor, in your case, we presume that the drain tube going into your wall could be too high, thus keeping more water in the trap and in the drain tailpiece.

As long as your sink drains, I'd leave it as it would/could be expensive to modify it.

Is this new or has it always drained this way?

Best Wishes

this is new

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.