Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 PVC electrical conduit same OD as PVC water pipes?
Author: sum (FL)

I was installing a new Orbit sprinkler timer controller and needed to run wires outside. I ran out of the gray colored 1/2" PVC electrical conduits, just needed another 8" piece.

I had a whole bunch of 1/2" SCH 40 pipes left over from the sprinkler line install, and a bunch of SCH 80 risers.

Didn't want to make another trip to get a new 10' PVC electrical conduit to cut off an 8" piece.

I tried the white SCH 40 pipes into the grey colored PVC electrical couplings and it fitted just right. I know white PVC is going to look confusing so probably a bad idea, but the gray color SCH 80 risers could work...so I cut a 8" piece and used it.

Is that OK or did I commit some unforgivable sin?

Re: PVC electrical conduit same OD as PVC water pipes?
Author: bernabeu (SC)

...you will forever burn in the lowest depth of Hades...

seriously, you are good to go

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: mwr (IN)

Its against the National Electric Code.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

paint the pipes..

I used the gray color SCH80 1/2" riser so it's essentially the same color.

Author: m & m (MD)

We won't tell. Promise.

Author: hj (AZ)

I guess that will also mean you will not report me for using conduit "long radius" elbows for a water service line.

No, but I will report you and Packy for not deburring PVC pipes!

WE deburr them, but NOT with a tool. We rotate the cutoff piece inside the one we are going to use.

I mean chamferring the pipe so that it is 45 degrees through the thickness of the pipe such that it fits into the 45 bevel inside the hub big grin to make a SUPER-PERFECT joint.

Author: m & m (MD)

If by deburring you mean rolling the PVC pipe edge between thumb and side of forefinger, why, yes, I do.

Yeah, that's going to happen 100 times a day. I guess I have NEVER looked inside a PVC fitting to see it it is REALLY chamfered 45 degrees, (but I doubt it). Deburring only removes the ridge around the cut, it does NOT machine the end of the pipe.

Edited 1 times.

He wants you to cut the end of the pipe on a precise 45 degree angle, and our fingers cannot do that.

ever hear the term:

smooth integral bore

I saw one in a small town called Utopia!

Also, Eden, Nirvana, and Washington D.C.

smiling smiley

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.