Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet Leaking at Base when Flushed.
Author: RobRobRob (PA)

My problem is with a toilet in our hall bath. The house was built in 1960 and about 4 years ago we had a tile floor installed in our hall bath and and a new toilet and sink installed. Anyway, the toilet keeps leaking. Three different plumbers have set the toilet a total of four times. I set it once. It seems to work fine for a bit and then it starts to leak at the base. The first plumber came back and set it a second time. I set it next and used shims and tried adding a spacer. That worked for a bit and then it started leaking again. We called another plumber who fixed it. He said it was the flange and we needed a new one. Worked great for a bit and then it started a leaking again. We called another plumber who said the toilet was fine but it needed a larger wax (or double wax I forget which one) ring. This time it worked fine for about two months and now comes out pretty good when flushed. The toilet doesn't appear to rock but I am guessing it (or the drain pipe) has to be moving causign the wax ring to fail repeatedly. Does this sound right? Could it be anything else?

I hate to buy a new toilet if I dont' need one. Thoughts?

Re: Toilet Leaking at Base when Flushed.
Author: bernabeu (SC)

when the tile was installed your flange should have been raised to new floor height:

cut-away view of toilet connection (w/o wax ring):

plus: the flange itself needs to be anchored to the subfloor so that it CAN NOT move

(note the s/s screws)

Thank you for the advice.

Thank you for the advice.

Edited 1 times.

I pulled the toilet yesterday. This is what I found. The plumber did not replace the flange like he said. So, I have a cast iron flange that isn't screwed to the subfloor. It is less than a half of inch beneath the tile could even be quarter inch. This is what I did. I added a spacer above the flange to bring it above the tile. Problem is that since the flange was case iron I could only use two screws and I am not that confident about how secure it is do to the flange only being secured by its weight. I tried other screws but the sub floor was either missing or rotten. I then used a wax less ring. Hopefully this won't fail from rocking (if it does rock).

Thoughts.

I am bracing for the time when I have rip up the floor and install a new subfloor and flange.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

when you are confident it does not leak:

silicone seal the toilet to the tile floor

then:

don't worry, be happy

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.