Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 A storage water tank below the main tank
Author: itatitl (Non-US)

I am new here and I am not at all familiar with terms and concepts related to plumbing.

We store well water in our overhead water tank. Since the water is not very clear, we use a sand filter. The filter is basically a big water tank with a layer of sand and a smaller one to collect the filtered water.The present arrangement is shown in this figure.

The problem with this is that the filter is very slow sometimes and when there is heavy use, we are short of water even though the main tank is full. Hence we cannot do anything other than wait.
Since the smaller tank is at the same level ( as the bigger one with filter), probably due to lack of a large gradient, it never gets filled more than a quarter of its size. So I thought of fixing another tank to collect the filtered water at a lower level. To prevent it from overflowing, I plan to use a float valve (Ballcock) to supply water to this tank and a no return valve (check valve) at the bottom of this tank to draw water from it.

The diagram is shown below.

I hope that this new tank, due the large height difference from the main tank, fill get filled completely and will ensure a minimum amount of water for peak usage time.

I have never done this before and so I am not sure this will work smoothly. So I am requesting this community for suggestions / comments.

Re: A storage water tank below the main tank
Author: hj (AZ)

I may be missing something, but the way you have it drawn it will not work.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

it will work

but

should the check valve not hold/close 100% the lower tank will overflow

imo: use a ball float valve for the low tank fill valve

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Why? Could you please elaborate?

quote; it will work
HOW? How will the water in the lower tank get up to the small tank. Once he starts pumping, drawing from the bottom of the tank, the fill valve will open and the pump will suck air.

A motor pump supplies water from well (0) to the main overhead tank 1.
Water gets filtered in tank 1 and flows to tank 2 as well as to the other taps below by gravity.
It will also flow ( by gravity ) to the new tank 3 via the (ball) float valve ( till it gets filled up).
Water from tank 3 can flow out via the no return valve ( check valve) to the taps below, again due to gravity.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

how does the pump know when to turn on and off?

Now, it makes sense. Originally, it looked like !&2 were the pump and its tank, then the "things" below it were the storage tanks.

"how does the pump know when to turn on and off?"
It doesn't know. When there is no water, we switch on.

Thank you all for the replies. applause

Thank you all for the replies.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.