Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 compression stop shutoff valve (faucet and toilet)
Author: hydrocynus (FL)

I have a 1988 house and these compression stops have never been changed. I shut off the water on one to repair a faucet and it failed at night resulting in a mini flooding. Brands is Jameco.

I disassembled it and went to Ace hardware but the rubber flat washer they gave me seems to thick and obstructs the flow.

Since they are all old, I feel it is safer to just change it and all of the others. There is also a lot of calcium deposits since water in Miami is quite hard.

The shutoff valves are all soldered to the copper pipe. Is it common? Should I go with a better design that could be disassembled easily?

I believe the size is 1/2" x 3/8" and brands are jameco and brasscraft. Should I go with a better design? Any brands you guys prefer?

Thanks a million.
Hydro

Re: compression stop shutoff valve (faucet and toilet)
Author: bernabeu (SC)

imo:

depending on the length of the 'stub outs' from the wall either:

(if long) cut off and install compression stops

OR

(if short) unsolder and solder on threaded adapters for threaded stops

OR

buy new Jamesco stops and 'cannibalize' the entire 'guts' (if they fit)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 2 times.

The copper tube is quite short so I will have to heat the fitting with a flame to remove it.
What about brands? I also looked at sharkbite but it seems that they can fail? I saw a thread Re: this on this board.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

after you heat and remove the old stop you can either:

solder on a new 1/4 turn stop

OR

while solder is still 'hot and wet' wipe as much off as possible
then clean the Cu stub of all old solder (emory paper and/or steel wool)
and use a 1/4 turn compression stop

OR

for peace of mind - call a plumber

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks!

Thanks!

Edited 1 times.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

I would not use a sharkbite on a short stub. I never install one unless there is enough room to insert the removal tool behind the valve and trim ring. If there's a leak, you need to be able to pull it back off. If the pipe is not secure inside the wall, you may not be able to push it on fully. Sharkbites need a smooth, round pipe OD to bite into free of all solder dimples, dents, and ridges. If installing a sharkbite always use a little plumbers grease to help it seat and seal.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.