Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 waterfall countertops wont let me reuse 33x22 sink? anyone?
Author: willtalknow (CA)

Nick had written a few years ago that:

"I installed new base cabinets and a 24" formica counter top all purchased at Lowe's. I also bought a 22X33 self rimming ss sink. I went to put the template on the counter and no matter how I measured it looks like it won't fit. It would just make it if I cut the counter top beyond the face of the cabinet otherwise it looks like such a tight squeeze that I wouildn't be able to engage my front clips. I even put the cardboard template below and set the counter on top of it to see. I need to be about 3/4" from the back because the formica starts to arc a little but the front of the formica hangs over the cabinet face like two and a half inches. In the meantime I bought a 19" deep sink called a mobile home sink. I know the other is supposed to work with this but I can't see how."

i know exactly what the problem is as i am having the same one right now, and seeking an answer which i cant find either. The counter top you bought (Mine also from lowes antique balenger)
is actually 25 3/4" deep.
[IT IS A NEW FANGLED WATERFALL COUNTERTOP EDGE WITH THE GRANITE LOOK] & the front of the top does indeed stick out 2 inches from the front of the cabs. these waterfall edges are 25 3/4" deep, and ive googled the problem. UNBELIEVABLY NO ONE SEEMS TO UNDERSTAND, yet it must have happened a million times.
I think the easy answer is that you must use a smaller sink with these tops because of the extra 3/4" deep on the backsplash of the tops is pushing the sink cutout too far forward to use with a 33x22 sink.!!
On my last project I couldnt figure it out either,( & I was reusing the rental sink), so I just put 3/4" furring strips on the wall to push the base cabs out from the wall. this did work, but dont try it unless you are an excellent carpenter, the cutout has to be within 3/16" at the back, right at the very edge of the backsplash.

I forgot I did that last time and this time ive already put the base cabs in place, and again am facing the same problem. I want to reuse the 33x22 rental sink, but ive already installed the cabs without the furring strips (i forgot). I guess ill have to buy a brand new smaller sink now, UNLESS somebody has any other suggestions. There has to be some one who has figured this out, but i sure cant find em on google. Thanks for any help!

Edited 4 times.

Re: waterfall countertops wont let me reuse 33x22 sink? anyone?
Author: packy (MA)

just use a 33 x 21 sink..

As much as I wanted to reuse the rental sink, maybe I will have to buy a smaller new one.

Is there any way at all to use a 33x22 with a waterfall edge counter top? All of the sinks we have here are that size. You would think that Lowes would tell you that you cant use standard sink sizes for these waterfall tops they sell. Hard to believe that this problem isn't all over the internet.

Thanks for any tips

Author: hj (AZ)

Maybe they have started making the countertops differently, because I have NEVER had a problem using a 33x22 sink in a "rolled front" countertop with a backsplash.

Author: packy (MA)

i have had that problem a few times. a 25 x 21 or a 33 x 21 has been the answer.

thank you packy. Ya, i hate to throw away sinks, and it makes the tops so much more expensive to use. Funny thing is that half the tops that lowes has on display are waterfall tops. And the cheapest sinks they sell dont fit these tops it would seem. ty.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.