Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Utility sink & lift pump to main line
Author: BigReg1500 (CT)

I'm adding a utility/slop sink to my garage along with some other work going on. No problems getting the water supply - the garage shares a wall with the basement where the well feeds in.

I was even able to find a chase from the garage all the way up through 1st & 2nd floors to the attic to connect with an existing vent. Things almost never go that easy for me. Wife thought I was crazy to be that excited after coming down from the attic that night.

My question is with connecting the utility pump outlet to the main waste line, which is running about 5' overhead on the garage wall. Do I want the check valve at the top of the vertical run, then just use gravity feed into a combo wye in the lateral line?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Utility sink & lift pump to main line
Author: hj (AZ)

The check valve can go anywhere in the discharge line, and how it drains depends on the way you install it, not where the check valve is. Are you saying that you have a straight chase through two stories of the building without any fire stops? Especially from a garage? That would be almost a criminal defect.

Edited 2 times.

Re: Utility sink & lift pump to main line
Author: BigReg1500 (CT)

Yep - previously had some lines running there for hydronic/hydro-air heat system in the attic serving the 2nd floor.
I ripped those out for the new boiler & hydronic system (lines run elsewhere) and had a nice chase to use. It's being sealed up & fireblocked once this is finished.

The hvac system in this house when we bought it was horrible. The criminal aspect was that someone paid money for it. We had it totally redone (cost a fortune) but it's a beautiful system now.

I guess what I was wondering was whether it makes more sense to have the check valve at the top or bottom of the vertical line. If the check is at the top, then more water will drain back into the crock at the end of each cycle. If the check is at the bottom, then a column of water will always be sitting on the flap keeping it closed. But does that make it work harder at the start of each cycle?

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.