Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sewage sink hole in front yard
Author: mijclarke (IL)

Related to my earlier post of a few days ago:

My 1953 house has a catch basin in the front yard. The outlet has snapped off. The base of the outlet runs through the concrete wall of the basin and the break occurred right outside the concrete wall (suggesting the pipe wasn't back-filled properly).

I bought the house as a foreclosure in Oct 2012 and was worried about the front steps and walkway being slanted but didn't know it had a basin. Well the steps and walkway are sunk toward the basin and on hot days I smell sewer in my front yard. Who knows how long the erosion has been occurring but with two little kids I'm prepared to go into more debt to fix this problem.

I also have a crack in the sewer line soon after it exits the house (quoted $2800 to fix). Finally I have a kitchen drain line that exits house separately downstream which ties into larger sewer line. The problem is it protrudes 2 inches inside the larger sewer line and clogs easily. The sewer line travels under my driveway which butts up against the side of my house. By the way my sewer line exits the house around knee level.

Possible scenarios to fix:
A) fix crack for $2800 and fix outlet on basin for about $4500
B ) Reroute sewer drain through front of house (need to tear down some drywall in basement) and bypass basin.
C) tear up entire driveway and replace line with PVC and bypass basin (driveway is in horrible condition)
D) Find a new home

scenario A: I would need a clean-out installed and used frequently to keep the kitchen drain junction free of clogs.
Scenario B: with PVC running entire length of home near ceiling in basement I will have louder noise throughout the home
Scenario C: would be the most expensive

My concrete steps and walkway are deteriorating. One corner section of the walkway protrudes 3 inches above the adjacent section. Fixing this should take priority over replacing driveway.
My village used to require removal of basin if it's defective but now they allow them to be filled and bypassed. I may not be allowed by Village to just fix the outlet because if the walls of the basin leak I will have wasted $4500

What do you guys think? I've lost a lot of sleep trying to think of a master plan.

Thanks for Reading!

Edited 3 times.

Re: Sewage sink hole in front yard
Author: hj (AZ)

Absolutely no way to answer without being there to see the situation. We cannot even be sure that your diagnosis is correct about the problems or their cures. One thing about your diagnosis is that you say the small pipe protrudes 2" into the larger one and that is causing stoppages. That would seldom be the case unless it went through the side of the pipe and was pressed against the opposite wall, which does not seem to be the way you describe it, but even if it did, the easy solution would be to remove the pipe, cut it off, and reinsert it. The better solution would be to cut the larger pipe and install a fitting.

Re: Sewage sink hole in front yard
Author: mijclarke (IL)

I will try and post pictures but I don't have one inside the kitchen drain/main line junction. I saw it on the plumbers sewer camera and it doesn't touch the opposite wall inside the main pipe. This would cause my kitchen sink to backup instantly. I don't know if the protrusion was incompetence or a break that caused the junction to partially implode. About 15 feet upstream from this junction I have a complete break where the asphalt driveway meets my cement stairs that go down to the basement. My main sewer line exits basement wall and under one of the cement steps. it would make sense that the break occured right after the pipe exits the concrete. The plumber measured it about 69 inches out from the ckeanout right before it exits the house which would line up with the asphalt/concrete border. Maybe when the driveway sunk (it butts up against the foundation) the kitchen drain speared into main sewer line. This is not going to be a fun inexpensive project frowning

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.