Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sump Pump does not stop running
Author: DogTired56 (OH)

First, I hate having a sump pump. I've been in my home 12 years and I am on my 4th sump pump. My neighbors, whose homes sit lower than mine, tell me theirs never run. Mine runs so much it needs replaced every 3 years or so. This one is slightly over 1 year old. Basic float trigger sump pump that sits down in a well. The new issue is that it will not stop running. For the past few days it will start to run and just run and run. Luckily there has been so much water flowing through it has not yet burned up. When operating correctly, it is turning on and off about every 2 minutes for a cycle. I thought the float was out of whack, so I went down and checked and it's okay. So when I realize it's running non stop, I go down and pick it up and drop it. That stops the pump and it runs fine for about 12 hours. That's what has me baffled...why is it running fine for 12 hour or so, then not? I'll realize it's running non-stop and I have to go shake it (drop it) to get it to shut off again. I feel a new pump on the horizon here and not a happy camper. I'm not educated regarding plumbing and know only what I've learned through the first 3 replacements. Anyone have any idea of what might be causing it to not recognize the well is empty and shut off? Thanks!!

Re: Sump Pump does not stop running
Author: m & m (MD)

If there is a way to get a gravity drain out your basement, you may want to consider that, especially with the amount of water that you are dealing with. When it comes to water intrusion into a basement, what goes for your neighbors has nothing to do with your own situation- they can be desert dry while you get the underground river.

Do you have a pedestal sump pump or a submersible sump pump?

Submersed. And the well is kind of deep. So I was actually wondering if I sat the pump on a block so that it was triggered less frequently, if it would help the life of the pump.

This pump is a part of the house's basement drain system. My house is sitting elevated on a "built up" lot, built by basement dirt hauled from other homes in the development. I thought it was stupid to begin with, but the developer thought it gave the area a "look". I only add this in case it gives any info as to what I am dealing with. I'd guess this house sits about 5 to 6 feet higher than the ones beside it and rain runs down to them, which is why I thought their pumps would be going like crazy. But as I said, I know little of what I am talking about. confused But I am trying to be proactive here before I get into a mess with a pump out on a Sunday night.

Thanks.

It depends on how your sump receptor is set up. Does water flow into it at the bottom of the receptor or at some point higher nearer the top? If the water enters at the bottom, then raising the pump will have an effect on its operation because you would be nearer the top of the underground water table. If the water enters at the side wall of the receptor, then raising the pump would have no bearing on its cycle time unless the entry point is very low to the floor of the receptor.

Thank you. I will check that out. I'm not sure without looking. And something else to consider when and if I have to buy a new one.

Your original inquiry about the run-on condition seems to suggest a float switch that is intermittently 'sticking', something pretty common with sump pumps. You can usually get a replacement switch but on a sump pump that has done the amount of work yours has, I would go for a new pump; a good one like a Zoeller, Liberty, etc. with price range of $150-180.

Thanks. That was what I sort of assumed. I was hoping it would be an easy WD40/Duct tape fix since that's in my wheel house. But at least I know I need to buy a sump pump and get it on hand so there's no last minute rush. I live in a small town, so no where local for a quick run to buy anything much more than eggs and milk. Hate to have to put another one in, but I guess it's the alternative to a basement filled with standing water.

By the way, when you say it would be best to replace due to the amount of work, do you mean due to these past 3-4 days? This pump is actually only a bit over 1 year old and aside from a few rainy spells like this, hasn't got many miles on it. It was a high end one, but I did not keep the box and paperwork to do a return. I've learned that lesson.

No, I thought you implied that it runs pretty much constantly year round. Still, I would go for a cast iron vs. a thermoplastic.

Thanks for all the guidance. eye rolling smiley

Thanks for all the guidance. Appreciate your time and advice. I can see where it seems I meant it ran a lot more than it does. I was just referencing that we are in a window of a lot of rain and this not shutting off thing just started over the weekend. Sorry, wasn't very clear.

Edited 2 times.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Sometimes the float switch can be adjusted so that it doesn't "hang" and can fall down enough without rubbing against anything. Also check your gutter downspouts to make sure they are channeling water AWAY from the foundation. I've seen several instances where the downspouts were draining water straight down and seeping back into the foundation.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks for all the guidance. eye rolling smiley

Just a final note. Went down and checked current pump, installed about last late Spring and it is a Zoeller. Box is still there, no receipt inside. The float is staying stuck in the up position. So at least I know why it is running without stop. We are supposed to have a couple more days of rain so I think I can limp along for a while. Without knowing what I was doing I paid $300 for the first replacement to be installed. A neighbor did the second one in less than 30 minutes and that included walking back to his house for a pipe wrench he forgot first trip. He teased me to death about TWO MEN taking over 90 minute to do the first replacement one for one install job. So while I'm irritated this pump is going out so fast, it's the installation that's going to kill me. Hope I can find a better deal this time as my wonderful neighbor is now 400 miles away.

And I will check the downspouts. Don't want to be feeding the problem.

Edited 1 times.

Buy another Zoeller, cut the vertical discharge pipe, install the vertical pipe attached to the old pump on the new pump, reconnect the discharge pipes together with a no hub coupling for easy disconnection next time. Done.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Make sure your pump is on a dedicated electric circuit.

Best Wishes

Thanks. One of the few things they did right when they built this house, it is on a dedicated electric line.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

4 years ago, I purchased a Ridge-AquaPro 1/2 hp Sump Pump, with a lifetime warranty. A neighbor had purchased one 6 months earlier and suggested that I consider one. I did, saved the box and receipt. It is almost 5 years and its still going strong. I hope it has a long and productive life, but if it doesn't... I have the warranty. I don't believe Ridge offers the lifetime warranty on their new sump pumps.

Best Wishes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.