Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sump into Sewer Question
Author: mwr (IN)

My sump discharges into the sanitary sewer. My installation is grandfathered in my area.

However, I am concerned that this setup might otherwise be taxing my drain system.

Am I causing damage or otherwise setting myself up for problems having it drain like this?

The only issue I have is that sometimes when the pump discharges, my kitchen sink gargles. It doesn't bother me per say, I was just concerned it might be an indication of a bigger issue.

Please advise.

Edited 2 times.

Re: Sump into Sewer Question
Author: packy (MA)

only in the event of a sewer blockage. the discharge from your pump will shoot out the lowest opening (laundry in basement?) like old faithful.
otherwise, it does no harm to your piping.

I know about the taxing of the water filteration plants, but is that backup as you describe the main reason it shouldn't be discharged to the sewer?

It appears I am not having any issue at this point with how it is setup, I am not sure I want or need to get it out of the house and deal with trenching and freezing conditions. Of course if property damage is a concern I would do it immediately. I am confused to say the least.

Author: packy (MA)

the gurgling in the kitchen sink is most likely a venting issue.
can't tell from here if the kitchen drain is vented properly or not.
this might be a concern if the trap is being syphoned out.
easiest solution might be to install an AAV under the kitchen sink.
it would look something like this..

How do you know if the trap is being siphoned?

FWIW, there is a studor vent type thing like the one in your photo directly under the sink/trap in the basement.

Author: hj (AZ)

Unless you have a septic system, there is no way a sump pump could "overtax" the sewer system. The sink gurgling does probably indicate a problem of some kind, but it would take a plumber at your house to determine what is causing it. I do not know where the "unhappy face" came from. It is not in my original posting.

Edited 2 times.

If the gurgling is air being pushed OUT of the drain by the pump's discharge an AAV would be useless.

Assuming an AAV would work, it is in the wrong place if it is in the basement.

Their is a cast vent that goes out for that sink . I am unclear why an AAV was added as well.

How would I go about seeing if there is a problem?

Is there a way to tell if the cast vent is functioning (thinking that someone added AAV because it is broken?)

You mention "overtax" I was thinking the opposite, maybe silly, but is it possible the sump frequent discharging is "cleaning" the drains... keeping things flowing?

Edited 2 times.

This is what is below the kitchen. ALl in 1.5" pvc and into my cast iron main

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.