Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hayward Pool Heater
Author: Jasgal (CA)

we have a hayward pool heater we are installing. Its 250,000 btu. we have the plumbing done, electrical done and started the gas line. its all running but wont ignite. in reading I keep seeing something about preasure. Any suggestions would be great. all gas lines are outside and so is the heater. thank you in advance.

Re: Hayward Pool Heater
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Natural gas or propane ? Installed by a license contractor ? Permitted and inspected ?

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Honestly....If you have the installation instructions, you have as much help as could be provided here. We might be able to explain certain parts of it, if we knew exactly what was said. I can tell you that if the gas line is not sized correctly, you will never get 250000 btus out of the unit.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

The answer to your issue may be found in the beginning of your owners/installation book.
Beginning with the installation of your gas service. Did your installation require a permit and was it inspected before you began your start-up procedure? If you are not getting enough gas, it will affect the entire operation of your pool heater.
Also the warranty of your water heater might be affected if not installed by an authorized dealer.
Best Wishes

Author: WC (VA)

One small thing: (Google it) Does the heater have the proper TYPE gas " orifice " already installed? Natural and Propane are different -- and the heater may/may not have been delivered to match the type of gas you are using. (They are easily changed.) I don't know if one or the other would keep heater from actually "igniting" but there is a "pressure" difference.

Not a plumber - but I had a pool heater.
As previously posted: Completely read and understand the installation AND operation instructions. There may be some "safety" step you are missing which will not allow the unit to ignite.

Author: hj (AZ)

What do you mean by "started the gas line"? That would usually mean it is not finished and if that is the case the heater could not run. IF you have gas in the line, you will usually have adequate pressure unless the line is obstructed by dirt or water. You did not happen to install a "propane" heater, but you have natural gas, did you? Part of the answer to your question would depend on HOW it lights, i.e., match or electronic ignition.

There is more to converting from one gas to the other than just changing orifices. There are pressure differences and in some case the burners are made of different materials. For this reason, very few heaters are allowed to be converted.

The exact model of the OP's pool heater is not known but determines everything. (Model should determine what orifice unit is delivered with and "if" the only difference is the orifice.)

What IS known is proper (safe) installation should be made by a professional familiar with such heaters. There are MANY factors involved in order to archive the desired BTU, --- Model, Type gas, pipe delivery size, distance from meter/source, orifice size, location, etc. etc.

I previously owned a "Comfortzone" heater. Natural -OR- LP gas COULD be used. SOME of the Installation instructions for MY unit included: -- (Decades old unit -- things do change.)

1. Pressure regulator on all (Comfortzone) heaters is PRE-SET at factory and normally needs no adjustment.

2. Gas pressure at burner manifold , down stream of Gas Valve and pressure regulator, should be as follows:
MANIFOLD GAS PRESSURE
Nat 5 (Inches W.C.) (EXAMPLE)
LP 10 (Inches W.C.) (EXAMPLE)

3. Pilot Orfice / Main Burner orifice (size) is determined by type of gas (Nat or LP) and BTU.

ABOVE ARE --- EXAMPLES ONLY -- AND NOT FOR THE OP's POOL HEATER

quote; MANIFOLD GAS PRESSURE
Nat 5 (Inches W.C.) (EXAMPLE)
LP 10 (Inches W.C.) (EXAMPLE)

And, in most cases the pressure is preset in the thermostat and is NOT adjustable, thus needing a replacement thermostat, but since LP thermostats have left hand burner threads that also requires a different burner and tube. Most manufacturers do NOT furnish the new burner for conversion purposes.

quote: "Most manufacturers do NOT furnish the new burner for conversion purposes."

We are going in circles

The OP has a Hayward pool heater - exact model unknown.
(I'm guessing a H250)

HAYWARD Pool and SPA/HOT TUB HEATERS

H150, H200, H210, H250, H300, H350 & H400 MODELS
INSTALLATION, OPERATON, & SERVICE MANUAL
[www.hayward-pool.com]

Page 30 of 52

GAS CONVERSION:

The factory installed gas train, where appropriate, MAY
BE CHANGED FROM natural gas to propane OR from propane to
natural gas, using the appropriate conversion kit, available
from the factory. Gas conversions are to be performed only
by a qualified agency. Detailed instructions are included with
each kit.

This above Service Manual covers BOTH Natural AND LP gas installation for the same models. A QUICK look at the parts lists indicates the difference to be only a gas valve, burner orifice, and a pilot. No mater what gas is used adjustments may/may not be required. (My personal "Comfortzone" heater unit only different part was the orifice).

The Hayward Pool heater should be pre-ordered and the size gas line etc installed for the type of gas TO BE USED.

My original point was that the OP should be SURE his pool heater IS set up for the type of gas he has. --- ------------ But they CAN be converted "IF" needed.

I believe the main thing that can be agreed on ---

"What IS known is proper (safe) installation should be made by a professional familiar with such heaters."

But ALL of this probably has NOTHING to do with the problem he has.

The first and ONLY post by the OP would indicate no "professional" was involved in the installation. "I keep seeing something about pressure."

1. There is a "possibility" that the unit is not set up for the type of gas attempting to be used. This should be ruled yes or no. (This would be a "pressure" problem.)

2. "IF" the unit is NOT set up for the gas being used -- it CAN be converted and adjusted for a "pressure" problem. -- That HAS been determined.

So -- "But ALL of this probably has NOTHING to do with the problem he has." ---?

"Probably" yes or no -- Who knows? Apparently the OP -- with no feed back -- has little interest in solving the problem. OR -- Maybe he has solved it and like many - many other OP'ers does not bother to follow-up.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.