Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Ice maker producing hollow ice
Author: stacyeh (GA)

Recently had to replace supply line to icemaker due to leak. Now the icemaker is producing hollow ice. Tested the water inlet valve and it was bad so it was replaced. Still producing hollow ice. Water pressure to sink and water dispenser in refrigerator is fine. Any suggestions?

Re: Ice maker producing hollow ice
Author: dbaca (CA)

The water fills into the end of the ice maker opposite the motor and controls. If the water doesn't fill all of the ice molds the one closest to the motor will have a partial fill. The thermostat senses the temperature of this mold and when the thermostat closes the harvest cycle begins. A partial fill causes this mold to cool faster than the other molds so the ice maker harvests partially frozen cubes from the other molds.

To check this put your finger into the molds and see if the front one is less full than the others. If the water level changes again after you have adjusted it, replace the refrigerator water valve.

The second thing that can cause hollow cubes is a defective thermostat inside the ice maker. If this thermostat fails it is slightly more expensive and much less work to replace the entire ice maker. If the water level in the ice molds is all the same I would replace the ice maker.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

It could be a filter issue or a dirty ice maker that needs cleaning. You may have loosen some debris in the line as you were working.
Remember ice is 99.9 water.

Best Wishes

Author: m & m (MD)

Hollow ice can also be a result of an undersized supply line, especially on long runs.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

as I learned from recent work on my own i/m:

the solenoid refrigerator fill valves are NOT, repeat NOT, universal (even if they 'fit' and apparently work fine)

there is a 'rubber' flow control internal 'washer' in the valve which supplies a fixed volume of water to the i/m (compensates for different supply pressures)

since the 'hollow' issue began after the valve was replaced i would recommend an OEM valve be installed

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Paul48 (CT)

From what I was able to learn through searches, it is a volume problem.If you replaced the valve with the correct one, look at the supply line. The supply valve may be barely cracked open. You might not notice it in the water through the door, as it doesnt come out very hard anyway.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

If you replaced the valve with the correct one, look at the supply line

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.