Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Slow drainage and gurgling, overflow in kitchen sink
Author: daluu (CA)

The laundry area was moved from garage to an addition at back of house (like that when I got the house). With that move, the washer drain pipe appears to share the same drain connection with the kitchen sink.

We've noticed that the kitchen sink drains slow when much running water goes through it, but not clogged. When the washer is draining, it can cause gurgling noises at the kitchen sink end, with a little sewer gas forced out. At times I think some bit of water backflows to the kitchen sink before draining out normally when washer is draining, but I haven't been monitoring lately to confirm. The gurgling noise & sewer gas for sure.

I'm writing this post to get ideas whether this combination of plumbing behavior is a sign of bad plumbing, partial clog in the system, or bad plumbing venting for this kitchen sink area. Plumbing at bathrooms seems to be find, just this kitchen sink area.

I don't know how the plumbing looks within the walls and up the roof, haven't taken apart the ptrap to see if there's any partial clogs along the sink drain piping, but assume not or very minor. But will check shortly.

Here's photo of the drain piping under sink. A plumber did mention the wall connection of the drain was not done to code when he came by to do some plumbing work. I do plan to fix that when remodel kitchen but not doing it yet.

Here's visuals of the kitchen drain pipes and what the drain connection look like at laundry area (when I first got the place, before I fixed it up). Laundry area is just in back of and to the left of the kitchen.

NOTE: the blue plastic valve is a water line connection from supply line for water filter & dispenser, supply lines behind the wall/board (old style wall mount kitchen faucet rather than the common sink counter mounted faucets).

Also, when the slow draining occurs, near the end, when water almost drained, it bubbles/gurgles with air coming out/up. And with that sometimes you get the sewer gas smell.

by the way, I don't see any air admittance valves installed (someone on another forum asked me about it).

I'm in California. Is the only way to fix this to open up the walls and redo the drain plumbing in the kitchen/laundry area? Not sure if need to add/rework the venting at the roof for the plumbing.

Re: Slow drainage and gurgling, overflow in kitchen sink
Author: steve (CA)

You probably have a partial clog in the drain pipe that is common with the kitchen sink and the laundry. You should have that section of piping mechanically cleaned. The trap arm(horizontal pipe between trap outlet and wall) rises up with a couple of fittings, where it should be pitched slightly downwards towards the wall. There is enough room under the sinks, to raise the tee and trap and replace the trap arm, so it pitches downwards.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.