Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Can one remove tub spout and add a hand held shower there?
Author: 1freespirit (HI)

Hello, I am new to this board as you can tell this is my first post. We are in the process of building a walk in shower..

The shower will not be all that large will be 30" wide by about 5.2 inches long with an angled bench seat. Question I have is can one insert a small shower arm where the tub spout would go so we could have a hand held shower there? The reason I ask is becuase I want the hand held low enough and long enough to reach the bench seat should someone want to use for instance to shave legs when seating down. I really do not want to go with the typical double shower head with hand held if I can advoid it.

I realize that I woudl have to have a divertor installed in the lower spout where the tub spout would go. Are there any such diverters like this maybe to be used with a like a small shower arm or something simular?

Thank you but I have searched the internet and cannot come up with a direct answer but I woudl think it would not be that difficult. Basically I want to take a tub/shower valve and then for the tub outlet underneath the valve make the copper piping not as long maybe down 1 foot from the valve and make that a separate hand held shower instead of using it for a tub spout.

I think I said this correctly.

Thank you,

Re: Can one remove tub spout and add a hand held shower there?
Author: packy (MA)

a tub and shower valve will either have some built-in way of switching between 2 outlets or it will have a spout that will fill a tub or you will have some way of closing off that spout to force the water thru the shower head.
you can not have the choice of where to divert the water that comes from the spout. you either fill a tub or you take a shower using the shower head up top.
what you want is a thermostatic shower valve with 2 volume controls.

Author: hj (AZ)

You will need a "3 port diverter" so you can choose either the hand held or wall mount shower. Otherwise, ANYTHING you connect to the "tub spout" opening will either run all the time the shower is being used, or force water out of the shower head when the hand held is turned off.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ditto hj

go to an actual plumbing supply (not a big box store) and ask the same ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.