Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Help Determining Drainage System
Author: Nixonian (NY)

Here's some background information before I ask my question.

I've owned my current residence for four years. Six months after moving in the basement flooded despite promises from the realtor and home owner that flooding was never an issue. The flooding occured another two times since then. Around $1,000 was spent on plumbers both local and chain companies. Each had different ideas on what the problem could be, but no concrete solution. After making some calls to city hall and climbing the political ladder, the city sewer inspector came over and within two minutes said we needed to cap the sewer lateral (the yellow plug you see in the sump pit). An $8 cap solved the problem. The joys of being a first time home owner!

Knock on wood. The basment hasn't flooded since we capped the lateral. The sump pump has been working overtime during the spring and early fall and keeeps up with the load the past two years. The water level gets within an 1/8" of the basement floor and the pump kicks on.

My question is what type of drainage system do I have? There's a reservior with three pipes. One empties into the sump pit, one comes from the ground verically and the other horizontally. In the second photo you see a hole in the concrete. This is where the reservior pipe empties out of but there's another water source coming from the left.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. There's a toliet, sink, washer and shower in the basement. The toilet, sink and washer have no affect on the sump pit or reservior. The shower apparently doesn't drain properly but, again, it seems to have no affect on the water level in the pit.

So what am I working with?

Re: Help Determining Drainage System
Author: hj (AZ)

Your photos do NOT show the whole picture. What is the round thing in the bottom of the pit? Is that a sump pump? You appear to have a "cobbled up mess". IF that yellow plug is sealing a drain line, then it either was an uncapped cleanout or a drain for the pit. And, if it was the source of the flooding, AND you have a shower and toilet in the basement, you should still be flooding, except it should come from the shower or toilet, unless it was just a minor backflow. If so, then you are still in danger of a flood, under the right conditions. The "how to stop it" is easy, but actually doing it will be expensive.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.