Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Shower turns on
Author: dubennett (CA)

I just moved into a new house and I have a bath/shower that turns on by itself. This happens a few hours after someone uses it. The mechanism to turn on the bath is a pull out to turn the water on type. When I go in to see why the water is running (which is full on) the mechanism is pulled out in the on position.

Re: Shower turns on
Author: packy (MA)

believe it or not, things like this happen to certain valves.
the solution is to take the valve apart and wipe off some of the grease on the sliding part of the cartridge. then hope that less grease results in less friction loss...

Author: bernabeu (SC)

smiling smiley .... you mean: less grease results in MORE friction loss smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

mais non mon ami.. friction loss makes it more slippery. MORE friction would make it harder to slide.

Author: hj (AZ)

So that must mean that MORE "friction loss" in a water pipe means it will flow better. I guess it is how they teach physics and math in MA.

Author: jennifersmith (TX)

Hi,

I think your valve is leaking, change the cartridge that should take care of it. And also, sometimes it can be caused by plumber's grease inside the shower valve.

Author: pzqk7j (AZ)

New house. Call builder so that he can get a plumber out.

if you had more of the sport of 'curling' in AZ you might have a better understanding of friction loss.
more friction and the 'stone' slows down. more friction loss and the 'stone' speeds up.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

I think we are debating the difference between:

friction loss

and

loss of friction

I will take 6, you will take 1/2 dozen

then

we can compare quantities

actually,

if you took 1/2 of a baker's dozen ..............................................

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; more friction loss

Sounds like a double negative to describe "less" friction. Sort of like the ads that advertise that you will "use 400% LESS", instead of "1/4 as much".

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.