Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 how high up to install AAV
Author: cvcman (NY)

I called Saniflo and they said I may need an AAV on my sink basin that drains into my Saniflo Compact 48 because as water is emptying it bubbles,,,,now can I T off the 1-1/4" drain line coming from the sink and run a verticle pipe up say 4ft and have the AAV that high above the drain pipe ??...I just dont want it right next to the sink sticking out..

Thx

Re: how high up to install AAV
Author: packy (MA)

that won't do any good. an AAV only lets air IN not OUT.
the air in the saniflo tank needs to go somewhere as it is being displaced by the draining sink water.
when the pump activates it needs to suck air from somewhere to replace the water it is expelling. the AAV will open and allow air IN...

Author: hj (AZ)

You need a "conventional" vent, and AAV would be worthless. There is a least one AAV which is bi-directional, but that might be the same as not even having one, because when it evacuates air, it is also releasing sewer gases.

See..right there is wy I keep you guys on the payroll ! Heres what I tried and it seems to work fine...I noticed it only seems to do it when you have the faucet wide open,,,this faucet seems to put out a ton of water....I have Keeny 1/4 turn shut offs on the supplys...so I turned both half off which still puts out pleanty of water....now it seems to work fine and doesnt overfill the sink bowl...

Now is there any problem only having tose 1/4 turns open 1/2 way ??? Are they more apt to leak or anything ?

Thx

other than maybe being more noisy, the is no problem throttling with a ball valve.

Pack, what do you mean noisy ?

you 'might' hear more noise when you restrict the flow thru the partially open ball.
but only when you are using that faucet.

ok gotcha...I spoke too soon because it did it again...its weird...maybe its the pressure switch but it seems to work fine most of the tim...again I have had the toilet for 3 yrs but just hooked up the sink to it Friday...

I hate to take it all apart to chg the pressure swtch if its not that...there is a little flapper vent at the top of the pump but i think thats more for when it flushes....

wll I tool the pump out and pulled out the pressure switch,,,I pushed the contact 4 or 5 times and t seemed to work fine...but,,,,then it didnt work for 5 or 6 more times unless I really pushed it...so I cleaned everything up and bent the tab down a little so it would activate sooner..put it back together and it seems great now...

I did call Saniflo and they are sending me another switch....under warranty...but if it was out of warranty this 2 wire 1/2" pc of plastic is 55.00 !!!!!!! Holy moly...it cant be worth more than 5.00 tops.....I wonder if you can get it anywhere but Saniflo ?

you are lucky they will sell you only parts. they usually only want to sell you a new tank for about 600 dollars

Author: m & m (MD)

Saniflo is telling him to vent the sink with an AAV, not the entire system. In that regard, they are right.

they are sending me one for free....it looks like a sub mini 2 wire Johnson Electric that I can buy online for 4.99...they want 55.00 IF i had to pay for it...unreal...I only paid 500.00 for the whole toilet ...I say only thats still alot of cabbage

....and in my opinion, it's an inferior toilet as far as design, quality, etc.

well the toilet itself works fine and they are the only ones who made one like this that was vent free....it wasnt until I hooked the sink up to it I had the switch issue....the other ones with the tank uner the toilet just looked....cheeesy

Unless there is a vent somewhere else "in the system" and AAV on the sink will not be any more effective than one on the sump basin.

I guess the AAV for the sink is so when the toilet flushes it doesnt suck the ptrap dry ??? Dont know or sure...again now it seems ok but i do know the pressure switch was screwing up...I will hang on the one they send me and if it does it again ill chg it...still cant believe 55.00 for a 5.00 switch....

An AAV on the sink will eliminate the noises in the sink drain when it is emptying. An AAV on the sink drain won't do jack-squat for the rest of the system including the pump and receptor when it is pumping out.

yup thats what I figured....if you dont like the Saniflo's which do you think are better ? Ive heard issues with the Zoehler and Liberty

If it is bubbling while it is draining, that is trapped air escaping, and an AAV will do NOTHING to stop that. In addition, an AAV on the sink will prevent siphonage throughout the system when the pump is discharging.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.