Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Caroma Sydney
Author: Rick Laser (CA)

I decided to bite the bullet and had a Caroma Sydney toilet installed today. Hopefully this will reduce my toilet clog issues. It has a 4 inch trapway. ADA height.

It is bolted to the floor in the back (the plumber drilled holes) but as some of you said on this topic earlier the toilet is mostly held to the floor with some fancy caulk. The plumber said to allow 2-3 days for the caulk to completely set before using the toilet. We will allow 3 days.

I will give it a month and then post how everything is going.

The plumber said the repair parts are not available in big box stores and to purchase back-up seals from Caroma for use when needed. Hopefully, that won't be for quite awhile. I'll order some just in case.

Re: Caroma Sydney
Author: george 7941 (Canada)

I have never installed a Caroma toilet before, so I am unfamiliar with it. I read through the installation instructions here
[www.caromausa.com]
It is exactly how I install a North American toilet, I don't see anything different. I use silicone caulk to hold the toilet to the floor after properly shimming it. I tell customers to give the caulk a day to set. I dont do any drilling to anchor the toilet to the floor and neither do the Caroma instructions I linked above. The caulk holds the toilet.

Author: hj (AZ)

Why did he "drill the floor" because, according to the installation directions, it bolts to the closet floor flange? The flange connection, NOT the caulking, holds the toilet to the floor. The caulking just seals the gap between the toilet and floor.

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

The flange bolts help secure the toilet to the floor but the toilet could very well shift (rotate) a bit if bumped. Caulk or grout really stabilises the toilet and prevent any movement at all.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

do y'all remember the 4 bolt closets ?

2 to the flange for the seal

2 to the floor structure to anchor the closet

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: caja715 (Non-US)

haven't seen that install on caroma, usually there is a plastic,rubber boot that is bolted to the flange.and the bowl slides into it very snuggly. Caroma is "lifetime" warranty on parts (or used to be). Also you may have to look at what Id call a "courtesy brush of the bowl" after certain uses.

Author: Rick Laser (CA)

There are two holes in the back of the toilet bowl bottom section. Way in the back -- not in the usual spot in the middle of the bowl area. He drilled holes to insert bolts to secure the toilet there. I think this bowl comes in versions without those holes and with them. I got them as I think that will support the toilet better.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

you are 100% correct re: support/anchoring

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

Those were either 'washdown" or early reverse trap bowls with a large area in front of the outlet. WE put dummy bolts in the front holes.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.