Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Drain Slope
Author: beginner (IN)

Recently the drain line from the kitchen sink loosened out of joint in crawl space. Looks like plumber primered but never glued pvc pipe. I reinserted the pvc pipe into coupling and joint with primer and pvc cement. Looks like where drain comes into crawl space pipe is sloped down to left then connects to 90" joint and flows up to left to continue to drain connection. So corner is at lowest point almost to ground besides brick holding it up. Is this okay? or should it drain from high point to low point? Does it matter since mostly liquid from sink and dishwasher? Any advice would be appreciated...this was first repair I have ever done on pvc piping. As user name states Beginner with capital "B". Thanks!!

Re: Drain Slope
Author: jblanche (WI)

flows up

As I am sure you realize, this would defy gravity.

A photo is worth a thousand words.

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

no, corner being low is NOT ok

pipe should slope downwards ALL THE WAY for gravity flow

pitch should be 1/8" per foot or slightly more for larger pipe sizes

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

[i1320.photobucket.com]

Far joint is almost to ground.

so should I just prop up corner with bricks or something similar or do I need to redo all?

[i1320.photobucket.com]

Author: jblanche (WI)

This doesn't look like the work of a licensed plumber. With plenty of joists overhead, I am wondering why pipe hangers weren't used. I would start by getting a laser level down there and checking the existing pitch. Then see how much play you have to get it to 1/4 inch per foot.

It would be a good idea to have a cleanout. Is that red PEX on the ground?

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Author: packy (MA)

yikes, that pipe is a disaster.
i would rip it out all the way back to that far right corner. cut off that 45 and put a long sweep 90 facing towards you as you are looking at the picture. put a few feet of pipe and put another long sweep 90 facing towards your left. put a cleanout tee and extend the pipe to where ever it goes on the left side.

Its the hot water line. I tried to move pvc pipe but doesn't have any give to strap up. Any ideas?

Thanks for everyone's input! smile

I'm pretty sure that's what I'm gonna have to do packy. Not to thrilled b/c not much room to deal with. Thanks for everyone's input!

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

Your real problem is the elbow at the front of the pictures. It appears to be dropping into a sanitary tee, and that puts the elbow right under the joists. It looks like that is already higher than the 'far" connection on the right side, so raising that corner would not do any real good. The whole line has to either be raised, which may not be possible, or lowered by making a new connection BELOW that tee.

quote; pitch should be 1/8" per foot or slightly more for larger pipe sizes

This appears to be a 2" drain line so it is NOT a "larger pipe size" and needs 1/4" per foot slope.

Author: vic (CA)

I'm with hj, for sure 1/4" per foot and not 1/8" for a kitchen sink drain.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I don't think that's a sanitary tee, I think its a vent 90, with a st. 90 in it. I'd start right there, cut both out, use a 45 and run on an angle back to the existing drain. There would be no corners, and there would be plenty of slope.

If it were a "vent 90", which I doubt because of the way the hubs are oriented one to the other, then the ENTIRE drain system runs backwards.

Author: packy (MA)

i can't tell if that is a vent 90 dropping into a san tee or if that lower fitting is a st 90 with a coupling on the street side???
if it is a san tee then if there is room below to cut it out, it could be replaced with a double san tee. what ever that line is coming in from the left can be tie into one side and the sink can go into the other side. the top can have a cleanout in it or just be capped.
not exactly perfect but about the best that can be done..

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

If we could get another picture with that tarp pulled back a little we could tell for sure. Either way it needs to be cut out and the drain for the sink lowered.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

DITTO

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.