Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Upstairs dishwasher drains to downstairs shower
Author: Russell Nile (NJ)

I have a dishwasher upstairs and when it drains I frequently (most of the time) end up with waste in my downstairs shower. It does not happen from ordinary use of the sink and was made better when I routed the dishwasher from it's own drain in to the garbage disposal under the sink.

I believe the issue is the "T" at the bottom in the basement floor where the kitchen drain/shower/exit to septic meet (interestingly, the washing machine drain seems to meet there also but does not cause this problem), but I'm not prepared to tear up all the cement floor to replace that somehow.

Can I simply slow down the drain from the kitchen? Put an additional trap along the way, or perhaps a box (like a catch basin)?

Ideas?

Re: Upstairs dishwasher drains to downstairs shower
Author: hj (AZ)

Traps and 'boxes' would probably not help the situation, but would create other problems of their own. Draining into the disposer should not have made any difference because it is an "open" drain just like a dedicated one for the DW would have been. An air gap MAY change the flow enough to stop the condition, but you would not know until you tried it.

Author: Russell Nile (NJ)

I'm not sure what you mean by an "air gap" though....can you please explain a bit more? (I'm willing to try it in the hopes it will help).

I'm guessing that the pump in the dishwasher is just throwing the refuse down the drain "too fast" so it ends up backing up in the shower drain. I don't remember this problem cropping up when the place was new (1960's) so I'm wondering if there are other contributing factors; like stronger pumps nowadays or perhaps build up in the drain.

I am having the drain snaked professionally next week to see if that helps.

Edited 3 times.

Author: packy (MA)

i'm guessing a drain cleaning will solve the problem.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.